Home » Audio » General » Pictures From Houston Audio Meet
Pictures From Houston Audio Meet [message #59263] Mon, 18 May 2009 08:37 Go to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
A small group of Houston Audio Society members met at my house Saturday to hear the Virtue One and Virtue Two class T amps, the SP Technology Timepiece Mini speakers, and the Eminent Technology LF-16 speakers. We also hear the Krell KAV-400Xi integrated, the Selah Audio Texas Revelator Towers and the Selah XT8 line arrays.

Pictures from the event are posted here:
http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/8234790_pj92M#538445212 _CuP52

I started a thread for participant's comments about the sound here: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/houstonaudio/message/36 13
Re: Pictures From Houston Audio Meet [message #59264 is a reply to message #59263] Mon, 18 May 2009 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Very cool, Fred. Thanks for keeping us posted.

I love the wood on those Timepiece speakers. It's cool how the horn/waveguide is machined out of the same wood as the baffle.
Re: Pictures From Houston Audio Meet [message #59267 is a reply to message #59264] Mon, 18 May 2009 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 18 May 2009 09:49
Very cool, Fred. Thanks for keeping us posted.

I love the wood on those Timepiece speakers. It's cool how the horn/waveguide is machined out of the same wood as the baffle.

With waveguide speakers gaining popularity and receiving rave reviews have you ever considered re-designing a two way Pi speaker with a waveguide instead of the Eminence 290 horn? Seems you could design a very affordable one using the Eminence Delta 12LF with the 2002 driver mounted in a 12" PE waveguide. Or an even more affordable model would be the Two Pi using the 1001 compression driver. That Dayton waveguide is kinda flimsy, but it can be damped with string putty.
Re: Pictures From Houston Audio Meet [message #59268 is a reply to message #59267] Mon, 18 May 2009 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
On second thought, forget the 1001. Its hf is attenuated and it is useful down to 2,500 but not below that.
Waveguides verses Horns [message #59272 is a reply to message #59267] Mon, 18 May 2009 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've always liked the design principles of the kinds of horns that are now called "waveguides." If you look back through the Pi Speaker forum archives, you'll see a clear pattern of preference to horns that delivered constant directivity (especially through the horizontal) yet free from sharp edges that cause discontinuities. Sharp edges within the horn make ripples in impedance and ultimately in amplitude response.

If you look at the H290, it actually resembles a modern waveguide in most respects. The throat transitions smoothly out to the final coverage angle. It's a pretty good horn that provides uniform coverage without any discontinuities. My wood tweeter horn is pretty similar, except the mouth is radiused to reduce mouth diffraction. It is designed to be used without a baffle, so the mouth termination is a little more critical.

It's not just about the horn, or waveguide as some are now calling them. It's about the whole loudspeaker. Even if the waveguide/horn is CD, without an appropriate crossover and driver placement, the pattern isn't CD. Many of the waveguides I've seen lately are implemented in a way that makes driver interference nulls fall squarely within the horn's pattern. I consider that to be a huge oversight, all but eliminating any benefits the waveguide might have otherwise offered.

Truly, the main design goal for each of my speakers is to provide smooth balanced response over a wide pattern with constant directivity. To this aim, I put emphasis on crossover design, driver placement, horn design and in the case of the cornerhorns, even the placement of the loudspeaker in the room. This is true for the multisub approach as well. It's all about making the sound smooth and imaging precise, not just at a single pinpoint spot in an anechoic environment, but also throughout a large area of the listening room.
Re: Pictures From Houston Audio Meet [message #59273 is a reply to message #59263] Mon, 18 May 2009 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Great pics Fred!

I'd be willing to sift through your toy room and take some of that stuff off your hands!!! If I had the $$$ Very Happy

Sounds like ya'll had a great time.

I like the way those waveguides are seamlessly built into the cabinet. Looks very clean.
Re: Pictures From Houston Audio Meet [message #59427 is a reply to message #59263] Sat, 20 June 2009 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
perry is currently offline  perry
Chancellor
cool!!well i bet you enjoy the meeting of the minds in your house..so what is new?
Re: Pictures From Houston Audio Meet [message #59430 is a reply to message #59273] Sat, 20 June 2009 09:40 Go to previous message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Nice pix, Fred.

BTW, your toy room is not remotely messy. I'd show you messy, but I'd embarrass myself and frighten my clients! Shocked
Previous Topic: Pioneer RT - 909
Next Topic: Electronic crossover is FUN!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 08:44:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio