Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Progress
Progress [message #58720] Fri, 16 June 2006 08:21 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So we made some headway regarding taxes and The Way Government is run by the people and Guns and how handguns should be illegal at best or at least heavily restricted.
Next is safety and what measures people should be forced to accept for their own safety. Last week Ben Reothlisberger was seriously hurt in a motorcycle accident because he wasn't wearing a helmet which basically will kill Pittsburghs chances for a repeat in the super-bowl.
Needless to say many are not happy regarding his callous disregard for his responsibilities as a pro quarterback for the Steelers. Bill Cowther is furious since it is his job that is affected also.
Why shouldn't people enact legislation to help prevent the huge cost in lives and the massive cost in medical resources these types of safety issues are responsible for?
Same with these extreme sports nuts who have to be rescued from dire situations stuck on some high moutain top or unknown trail using helicopters at 850$ an hour as well as rescue teams and medical teams at some ungodly cost. Why should I pay for them?

Re: Progress [message #58722 is a reply to message #58720] Fri, 16 June 2006 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I am glad you thnk YOU made some headaway. I disagree with you on almost everything, and you haven;t convinced me one iota, other than perhaps harden my conviction that leftist extremists are communists, dedicated to the acquisition and centralization of power.
you know, a la the soviets.
Everything you have said smacks of taking power away from the people, and it;s all about YOU YOU YOu. Very typical of the commies.

-akhilesh

Re: Progress [message #58726 is a reply to message #58722] Fri, 16 June 2006 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
O'Kay; but it would be nice if you chose better language instead of mean-spirited invective.
I realise I am alone here regarding how this group percieve's the world and thats fine; I never shrunk from a battle in my life regardless of the odds. But here I would prefer reasoned analysis over fanatical reactionary rhetoric like this.
And the sad part is no one seems willing to address the issues; I can never get a real answer to anything except from Electratig and Martinelli who posts excellent, carefully thought out responses as usual.

Re: Progress [message #58732 is a reply to message #58726] Fri, 16 June 2006 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

John, you aren't in battle. That's the problem here, and why there's a disconnect. For you to even choose those words shows how aggressive you are on the Dungeon. For the rest of us, this isn't a "battle", it's a discussion among friends. For you, it appears to be a battle. You are attacking your friends, John. You are trying to pick fights. And you are insulting people here in order to draw them into your fight.

Address the issues? That's the issue. People don't like being badgered and insulted and when you do that, the possible responses are either to ignore you or attack back.

Re: Progress [message #58735 is a reply to message #58732] Fri, 16 June 2006 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I wouldn't take the term Battle literally it is a euphemism. There is only the appearence of a struggle due to the absolute obstinate refusal to grant the truths that all citizens know to be real since grade school. That I believe is why E posts the words of the founding fathers; that should be the explanation. If there is a refusal to accept that from the originators of our government; then I have to suspect this is really not about the govt.
Thats fine if there is an alternative agenda; I just would like to discuss the topic myself; I think that would clear up any mis-understandings and provide an interesting commentary on the difference's between how the red and blue states think.

Re: Progress [message #58736 is a reply to message #58735] Fri, 16 June 2006 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Again, an insult rather than a statement or a discussion.

"absolute obstinate refusal to grant the truths that all citizens know to be real since grade school"

What part of representative government do you not understand?

Re: Progress [message #58739 is a reply to message #58736] Fri, 16 June 2006 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
No insult intended; sorry you feel that way.
I understand a lot about government. What part of the founding fathers who wrote our government don't you understand?

Re: Progress [message #58740 is a reply to message #58739] Fri, 16 June 2006 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The founding fathers intended the government to be a representative government. In fact, there were some concerns about having a democracy at all. One concern was that democracies were seen like anarchies, sort of a mob rule. Some wanted only land owners to have a say in government. As it was, only white men were allowed to have a vote. I am glad that women and all races and religions are allowed a voice, but that's not the way the founding fathers wrote the law. It has changed. But one thing hasn't changed, and that is the fact that America has a representative government, a federal republic and not a direct democracy.

Re: Progress [message #58741 is a reply to message #58739] Fri, 16 June 2006 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, that`s how I see it - for example, you find something (from the news, Constitution, papers, whatever), then tell us your understanding of this. The problems are, IMO:

-in most of the cases, nobody is really interested what some Dick Lick said about Paragraph 8.1.1, or so - if we want US Constitution or Laws citations, we have a "Google"
-in most cases, many people here have other political opinions, but you`re trying to push your version till the end, your post/truth must be The Last Word
-it isn`t enough to say "I don`t like it, I think differently" - you`re "pushing" - but nobody have the duty to explain yourself here more then he thinks is necessary
-why, on Earth there`re so little thematic about real life, people, events, customs, photos, personal experiences - just the boring specific political blablah, like on TV
-this is not a political course, we are adults here, and nobody likes constantly being "teached"
-too little humour, everything is so "dead serious", and again - boring
-and the last thing - this is a audio forum, but (for example) nobody writes anything on "SET" forum for months...

Re: Progress [message #58742 is a reply to message #58741] Fri, 16 June 2006 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm with you on this. The Dungeon and Tower forums were really setup to discuss current affairs or eBay gripes or whatever else that didn't really fit into any of the other sections. Certainly, religion and politics can be discussed here, but I don't like seeing it go so far. People have really been put off in the last year or so. Some have gone and never came back. Some sponsors left as a result of the badgering in the Dungeon. They wrote and complained, so I got to see it all.

I see a lot of insults here in the Dungeon, and I can see that several others do too. It isn't because of thin skinned people, it is because of the posts that say "if you like Bush you're stupid" or "religious people are backwards buffoons" or "if the democrats don't win in November then it's because people are unintelligent" or whatever. It's the Dungeon, so I guess you can post whatever you want as long as the law allows it. But I don't like watching people getting kicked around, or ugly bickering like the Jerry Springer show.

AudioRoundtable.com was made so that people could discuss audio with gentlemen, and not be subjected to senseless name calling. We're not talking face to face here, so sometimes we don't know when someone is kidding. We sometimes develop that kind of rapport with one another, but other times not. So it pays to maintain some restraint.

This forum is fundamentally here for all of us to share audio ideas, projects and stuff like that. I spend a lot of time developing new things and I always hope it is enjoyable to people. I post as often as possible and try to be helpful. I get a kick out of people enjoying my audio products and the shows and what not. It's worth it, because we have a bunch of fun folks around here on ART.

I know you are the same way. I see you spend a lot of time developing tube amp circuits and taking the time to post them. I really appreciate that. Many other people spend time posting and responding to people, things like helping newcomers setup their turntables or just sharing ideas. Some post reviews, and that's great. So that's what I'd like to see mostly.

Previous Topic: virus
Next Topic: I can't Believe This
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:59:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout