Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Where's the music report from GPAF?
Where's the music report from GPAF? [message #5836] Mon, 09 May 2005 15:10 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hope you guys didn't go to GPAF just to LOOK at the equipment, but did some listening instead. So, any reports on the music there? Any new "discoveries"?

Let me start. Didn't go to GPAF, but was at SPI, TX on vacation instead. Discovered Jack Johnson, surfer turned musician.

Re: Where's the music report from GPAF? [message #5837 is a reply to message #5836] Mon, 09 May 2005 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My favorite new find was a female vocalist that Akhilesh brought. I don't remember her name, but plan to ask him and order a copy.

Wouldn't be Jacintha, would it? (nt) [message #5838 is a reply to message #5837] Mon, 09 May 2005 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re: Wouldn't be Jacintha, would it? (nt) [message #5839 is a reply to message #5838] Tue, 10 May 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't think so. Maybe Akhilesh will chime in. But as for Jacintha, care to post an album suggestion?

Re: Wouldn't be Jacintha, would it? (nt) [message #5840 is a reply to message #5839] Tue, 10 May 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Unfortunately, I don't have an extensive collection from her. I only asked because she seems to be a staple at audio shows. Her and Eva Cassidy. The only record I have from her is: "Jacintha is Her Name" and it very good, if you like that kind of stuff.

Re: If you ain't got "Autumn Leaves, the Songs Of Johnny Mercer" you ain't got..... [message #5841 is a reply to message #5840] Tue, 10 May 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
...the single best opening of a first cut on an album since "Court Of The Crimson King".
"And The Angels Sing" is simply a tour de force
Most of the rest is up to that standard although her sidemen leave a little to be desired.
Her SACD outing, "Lush Life" is, for me, over-arranged and kinda dull.

I owe you a great debt, Mr. Epstein [message #5842 is a reply to message #5841] Wed, 11 May 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Since your mention of Jacintha some time ago I have purchased most of her recordings, with the exception of the SACD, and have played them to the point the kid's freely excoriate me every time they hear the first few notes of an album (which, strangely enough, only enhances her charm).

Thank you.

Charlie

Re: Wouldn't be Jacintha, would it? (nt) [message #5871 is a reply to message #5838] Wed, 18 May 2005 07:37 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Got word from Akhilesh. The beautiful singer I heard at GPAF was Nana Mouskouri, so I just posted something about her here.
Previous Topic: The Present Day Composer Refuses To Die!
Next Topic: Nana Mouskouri
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 01:14:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout