Home » Audio » Movies & Music » The Aviator
The Aviator [message #5831] Sun, 08 May 2005 02:25 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I went and saw The Aviator last night and just loved it. I remember seeing Tommy Lee Jones play The Amazing Howard Hughes in the 70's, and I realy liked it too. After seeing documentaries about Hughes, I think DiCaprio did a fine job of imitating him, as did Jones in the earlier film. So if you like The Aviator, be sure and check out The Amazing Howard Hughes too.

I have always been fascinated with Howard Hughes. The impression I get of him is a Texas oilman, inheriting his family's oil tools company and making his money in that industry, like so many people I know from this part of the country. I've always liked the people in that industry, and they are actually very much like what I see in the documentaries and movies of Hughes in his early years. Rowdy but smart, down to earth but willing to take what are actually pretty big gambles.

Of course, this is a Hollywood characterization, so it's hard to know what Hughes was really like, but the Texas oilman mentality really comes though. And yes, I know he was an eccentric and suffered from some compulsive behaviors. But I also know he did a lot of pretty amazing things, and that he was harrassed by corrupt people that were much more disturbing to me than Hughes' personal quirks would have been. I just find him fascinating, and I really liked the movie.

After leaving the movie, I started thinking about the movie A Beautiful Mind. The thought occured to me that another really cool person to make a movie about would be Nicola Tesla. That would be the best movie, because he was such an interesting man. So I hope one day somone in Hollywood will pick up on the story and make a good movie about Nicola Tesla, clearly the one of the most talented and enigmatic inventors the world has ever seen.

In the meantime, check out The Aviator. It was a good movie, and I liked it a lot. Grab a copy of the earlier Tommy Jones movie too.

Re: The Aviator [message #5833 is a reply to message #5831] Sun, 08 May 2005 08:55 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It's just so hard to take DiCaprio seriously. I agree Howard Hughes was an interesting guy; leasing out those drill bits instead of selling them. A self-made man is always a delight.

Previous Topic: Cream
Next Topic: Worst Pop Songs of All Time?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 01:10:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio