Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Is it my Imagination;..
Is it my Imagination;.. [message #58143] Sun, 26 March 2006 11:03 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Or am I seeing bush on the TV constantly now? Can he salvage this miserable presidency? Does anyone trust his words at all anymore?
Two years seven months left. And counting.

Re: Is it my Imagination;.. [message #58144 is a reply to message #58143] Sun, 26 March 2006 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Time moves too slow. Will there ever be anyone in that office that can get anything right?

Re: Is it my Imagination;.. [message #58145 is a reply to message #58144] Sun, 26 March 2006 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I still dream of the John F Robert K dynasty that was cut short. It's true; the good die young. You know Johnson wasn't bad and if he wasn't a clinically diagnosed paranoid Nixon might have done good things.
At least they gave you the impression that they were there to help America; not themselves.

Re: Is it my Imagination;.. [message #58146 is a reply to message #58145] Sun, 26 March 2006 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, that was all before my time pretty much as I was born in '69. But I tell you, there hasn't been much since. Seems to me the only one who's done anything in any respect for the world in general is Carter, and that was all after he left office.

Re: Is it my Imagination;.. [message #58147 is a reply to message #58146] Sun, 26 March 2006 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well Clinto tried but the rabid neo-cons were more interested in destroying him than helping the country. Things were good when he was in office; and as much as they try to pretend it had nothing to do with him; it did. And it all turned to crap when he left.
Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Whats your position on this?

Re: Is it my Imagination;.. [message #58148 is a reply to message #58147] Sun, 26 March 2006 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, I guess I tend to swing both ways as I'm not a full fledged Democrat or Rep. I agree Clinton did a pretty good job. I mean-hell- there wasn't any deficit. That's saying something right there. I guess I have some reservation about his extracurricular activities, but the world is what we make of it. The whole Iraq thing really kind of burns me. I mean, I've heard of the BS that Vietnam was firsthand from my family and those that went (my uncle served two tours--one for himself and one for his brother so he didn't have to go). And I see some parallels at times. All I can do is pray for those there and shake their hand when I meet them in respect. There comes a point when you need to really reflect on why you're doing what you're doing. Just my $.02.

I guess my major beef with Democrats is gun laws. I am an avid hunter and have been since I was old enough to go. I'm the type of hunter that is not concerned with the kill, like many trophy hunters of today. I tended to archery more so than guns, but the laws trickle down to affect everything. My archery hunting (de)evolved into making and using my own osage cherokee style bows and cane arrows. It really doesn't get any more basic or difficult than that unless you're using a spear. But archery let me into the woods, alone, to enjoy the peace and solitude of it all. Many, many times I just left my gear in the vehicle to enjoy the quiet. I do still hunt with a rifle on occasion, and birdhunt on the family property a couple times a year, but archery is one of my passions--and I miss just the target shooting terribly since moving to TX.

On the Dem. positive side there is the item of freedom of speech. One I believe strongly in. I am not of the mind that the world should be so PC that people are afraid to do and say things for fear of offending someone else. People need to buck up and learn to deal with thier problems and differences. Sometimes some of those freedoms conflict with my religious beliefs, but each of us have the choice to believe or not.

I'm not a dedicated follower of politics like I should be, and really don't keep up with most things going on from day to day, so my version my be a little off.

Re: Is it my Imagination;.. [message #58149 is a reply to message #58148] Mon, 27 March 2006 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So you make your own bow's ehh? Nice; have you taken any deer with them?

You know it's funny about your solitude statement. I had an uncle who went hunting with the family for 20 yrs. Never took a deer. Once I was in the blind with him and my dad and a deer came by; my dad says; "George; that ones yours", he shakes his head,"You take it", to me.
He hunted all his life and never shot anything; he just liked being in the woods.

I believe in gun control; because no one is going to take away your 30-06/30-30 or any other legitimate hunting weapon. The availability of handguns is absurd on any level and don't even mention semi-automatic weapons. Thats nuts.
Bows are o'kay though; I never hear of people getting killed by a bow.

I think politics is easy; look at the guy; see what he does not what he says and that pretty much sew's it up.

Every president since Goerge Washington had a little something on the side. Even Eike had a mistress. I don't blame a man for being a man; but yes; he could have made a better choice. Geez; thats all you get for being president?

Re: Is it my Imagination;.. [message #58150 is a reply to message #58149] Mon, 27 March 2006 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I've taken a deer every year except one in the last 20+ years as it helped fill the freezer. Got one every year except for one for the six years I hunted with my selfbows. You can see some pics of the bows at the attached site. They're in the archery folder.

I agree with you on the handguns. They are too easy to get. I don't own one and never have, but I do enjoy target shooting with them on occasion. The only rifle I own that is remotely high power is an SKS that my brother got me years ago for some reason or another. It's a POS rifle for hunting, except maybe coyotes. Of course it's semi-auto, but if you try to shoot fast with it it jams up anyway. I can shoot more accurately and quicker with a bolt action than that thing. If I'm hunting I want accuracy above all else, and that excludes most semi-autos except maybe the Browning's.

Several people are killed with bows each year, due to complete stupidity by their owners. And it's usually a family member or friend that gets killed. ALWAYS, ALWAYS be able to CLEARLY IDENTIFY what your are shooting at! NEVER, NEVER shoot at movement! STUPID!!

I've always considered my home defense weapon a bow. Very quiet, quick to the ready, and far less messy. Besides, imagine the shock factor for the intruder.

Yeah, Clinton got gipped ont hat one.

Re: Is it my Imagination;.. [message #58156 is a reply to message #58150] Mon, 27 March 2006 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Nice photo's. How do you bend the wood at the right tension to get that arc? It has to be even on both sides right?

Re: Is it my Imagination;.. [message #58159 is a reply to message #58156] Mon, 27 March 2006 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well, I'll give you a quick and dirty version. You start by cutting the appropriate diameter and characteristic tree. Then you split the 6-7' piece you cut lengthwise into quarters or whatever you can depending on the diameter. This gives you a stave to work on. With osage you must remove the bark and sapwood, then find an appropriate thickness of ring to follow the length of the stave. You want a single ring to be the back of the bow with no nicks, etc.... Then you cut the side to side profile and handle out. Then you thin the limbs out from the handle to the tips till it is bending in a nice smooth arc on each limb without any flat spots or hinges. Each limb is different and most want to leave the lower limb "stronger" than the upper due to most of the stress is on the lower limb. When you get to this "tillering" of the bow you start removing wood with a hand scraper. A thin shaving, I mean 1/64" can mean the difference between success and failure. Lots of other steps involved and each piece of wood reacts differently depending on its natural characteristics and style of bow. My last bow, "Purple Willy", is a laminated osage/bamboo reflex/deflex longbow. These are more involved yet, but tend to provide better performance. To see more on this type of bowmaking goto the link below. Ferret has a wonderful page. When I started making bows there were just a few guys really doing it and it was just starting on the web. We had a little rendevous in Mo that year and that's where I learned. We had about 100 people total. Last year there were over 600 from all over the world. Another site about it is www.tradgang.com . That's wher everybody hangs out, but since I don't mess with them anymore I haven't really kept up on things.

Previous Topic: Slobo is dead
Next Topic: George on TV ...Again?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:24:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout