Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » I agree with Akhilesh; Let him speak
Axe [message #58020 is a reply to message #58008] Thu, 23 February 2006 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I just got the Ovation cc057 the other day. I've always wanted an acoustic and it was a good price for a discontinued model. Man, that thing makes my fingers sore! I need to get a DVD to learn how to fingerpick correctly though. I suck at it mostly.

The Epi Les Paul Custom I've had for 10 years now. I've been through Strats and Ibanezes, but always come back to the LP. It plays better than a lot of the Gibson LP's that I've messed with. Mine has the stock pickup at the neck, but the bridge pu has been replaced with a DiMarzio ToneZone and I put a phase splitter pot on it also.

The 5150 combo is a beast of an amp. Thing weighs about 100lbs. I got it when my brother and I were gigging years ago. Our other guitar player had a Marshall JCM900 with a 4x12 and this thing just blew it away, especially in the bass dept. If I hooked it up to a 4x12 cab so I was running 6 12's it was just awesome. Make the hair on your head move around. It's got a great clean tone, too though. Much better than the 5150 heads. They voiced the combo a little warmer for that reason. The JJ's I put in it were also picked for a warmer sound.

Winter [message #58021 is a reply to message #58019] Thu, 23 February 2006 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I didn't know he was still around. He used to be a hell of a finger picker.

Howlin' Wolf. Now that would be cool. I had a chance to see Stevie Ray in Dallas right before he died. Couldn't go. Had a chance to see Albert Collins right before he died. Couldn't go. I don't mess around now. I go.

I listen to all sorts of music and have been to shows that featured artists from blues to death metal to the symphony. I pretty much like any type of music. Some of the lyrics I don't approve of, but the music itself is what I'm after.

Re: Axe [message #58023 is a reply to message #58020] Thu, 23 February 2006 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
I bought my son a Dillion copy of a PRS several years ago and it's an awesome guitar. Plays and sounds great for not many bucks.

My nephew bought a genuine Les Paul about 6 months ago. $2500! It's got the look, but doesn't play better than the Dillion. But then again, cool factor is worth alot.

I went from acoustic to electric. Electrics are cheating. Going the other way would be tough.

When I get home tonite I'll get you some fingerstyle titles to get. DVD won't cut it I'm afraid. Low and slow to start. Go to this site for some truly talented guys for advice, and great lessons. ANYTHINg Charles Gasci or Jon Riley tell you, DO.

Where'd the link go? [message #58024 is a reply to message #58023] Thu, 23 February 2006 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
www.wholenote.com

Re: DVD's [message #58025 is a reply to message #58023] Thu, 23 February 2006 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I figure DVD's will be better than shelling out $20 per 1/2hr for lessons. I can't read music, except TAB. And a DVD I can rewind, play over and over, slow down to see whats going on, etc....

Re: Winter [message #58028 is a reply to message #58021] Thu, 23 February 2006 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I agree; there is something for everyone in every genre'; thats why I like reviews. Electratig does great classical reviews here but most people won't even read them.
I hear you on the dying thing. I missed Miles at Jones Beach because he passed one day before the concert, and he was playing in the area for a month.
So you play?

So you play? [message #58030 is a reply to message #58028] Thu, 23 February 2006 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
For what it's worth I can make a hell of a lot of noise! We had about 80-90 rock songs in our play list. I could only play about 6 of them all the way through now. I haven't played but 10 times in the last 3 years so I've managed to forget all the songs. But a coworker plays acoustic and got me interested again so that's where I'm going.

Re: So you play? [message #58032 is a reply to message #58030] Thu, 23 February 2006 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good; we can't ever give up.

Re: DVD's [message #58033 is a reply to message #58025] Thu, 23 February 2006 14:11 Go to previous message
Master
The books I used (and use) are tab and notation both. When I want to learn it fast I use tab. I've made myself learn to read, but my difficulty comes from placement. Is that the C on the B string, A string, G string or what. With fingerstyle that becomes important, as you have to carry the bass line also. Chord position on the neck is critcal for melody and bass line combined.

It's a blast to play. One man band. Be careful or pretty soon you'll have theory start shooting out your ears. It just happens when you fingerstyle.

Previous Topic: Olympics!
Next Topic: Anyone concerned about this?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 04:56:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio