Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Mine Safety and Bush
Re: Mine Safety and Bush [message #57885 is a reply to message #57883] Mon, 23 January 2006 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Let me qualify that last statement. The Federal Bureau of Mine Safety controls the issue of enforcing Mine Safety in this country. Just like the FAA controls the issue of Airline and flight safety and Just like the FRA controls the issue of Railroad safety. These administrative bodies are headed by political appointees whose job it is to enforce the safety standards enacted by the federal government.
The states don't do this because one; The government needs uniform rules and regulations across the whole country. Otherwise any state with heavily represented mining interests would have weak or unsafe conditions just like the airways or railroads.
Two; the mining companies are interstate and as such are federal issues.
The Executive Branch appoints the heads of the various regulatory agencies who then create and establish the regulations under which these agencies operate and they have the police powers required to insure compliance.
I don't know what your point is but that is how it works.
On the Railroad no state agency had any power to tell us what we could do in terms of safety. That was regulated by the Feds in the form of the FRA.

Re: Mine Safety and Bush [message #57886 is a reply to message #57884] Mon, 23 January 2006 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
See above statement.

Re: Mine Safety and Bush [message #57887 is a reply to message #57885] Mon, 23 January 2006 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Eddy is currently offline  Steve Eddy
Chancellor

Let me qualify that last statement. The Federal Bureau of Mine Safety controls the issue of enforcing Mine Safety in this country. Just like the FAA controls the issue of Airline and flight safety and Just like the FRA controls the issue of Railroad safety. These administrative bodies are headed by political appointees whose job it is to enforce the safety standards enacted by the federal government.
The states don't do this because one; The government needs uniform rules and regulations across the whole country. Otherwise any state with heavily represented mining interests would have weak or unsafe conditions just like the airways or railroads.
Two; the mining companies are interstate and as such are federal issues.
The Executive Branch appoints the heads of the various regulatory agencies who then create and establish the regulations under which these agencies operate and they have the police powers required to insure compliance.
I don't know what your point is but that is how it works.

That's how it works, huh?

Well if that's how it works, and the federal government has sole control over mining safety issues, then could you please explain the Virginia Coal Mine Safety Act (which I mention seeing as it was in the state of Virginia that both of these recent accidents occurred)?

If things work the way you say, then you'd better alert the folks of Virginia that their state laws regarding mining safety are null and void. Apparently neither Virginia's Governor nor the members of the Virginia Assembly were aware of this as they amended it about a year ago in order to increase safety standards as well as civil penalties for violations that result in injury or death.

se

Re: Mine Safety and Bush [message #57888 is a reply to message #57887] Mon, 23 January 2006 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Every state can express legislation that covers aspects of the safety issue affecting specific issues that occurs in their state. The FMSHA is the governing body that sets mine safety regulations for the country.
One of the mandatory safety violations occuring at the Sago mine was the lack of a federal mine safety inspector on the premisis requiered by the FMSHA and the Mining Act of 1977 and it's amendment in 1986. In the event of safety issues brought before the FMSHA the federal regulations hold precedent.
All states have bodies of regulations pertaining to specific issues that their state may find in unique circumstances. The Feds run the show. In the case of a dispute federal regulations govern the issue.
Please don't try to semantically cloud the story. The FMSHA is the responsible body insuring that the safety rules are followed. They have the power to fine and punish violators.
You know my post never suggested there were no laison regulatory bodies on the state level; that would be silly. The feds are the responsible governing body.
The budget for safety enforcement and the manpower needed to accomplish that was cut by the current administration Thats a fact and this is the result.
Why trivialise the issue and try to shift blame? Thats why the Governer of West Virginia is going to the White House to petition the President for enforcement of the safety standards. If the state was responsible for managing mine safety enforcement he would go to the State Capital.
On the side I have never seen a president with so many apologists for his incompetence. Whenever the Federal Government screws up the Bush fans run out to find a scapegoat. It's shamefull. He should be a man and accept his failures. The buck stops there; in the words of a real president. Stop apologising for his incompetence and lack of concern for the citizenry.

Re: Mine Safety and Bush [message #57889 is a reply to message #57888] Mon, 23 January 2006 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Eddy is currently offline  Steve Eddy
Chancellor

On the side I have never seen a president with so many apologists for his incompetence. Whenever the Federal Government screws up the Bush fans run out to find a scapegoat. It's shamefull. He should be a man and accept his failures. The buck stops there; in the words of a real president. Stop apologising for his incompetence and lack of concern for the citizenry.

I make no apologies for Bush who I have never voted for and couldn't give two shits about.

My gripe is with those who mistakenly believe that the sun rises and sets on Washington, DC, and that if Washington isn't doing it, then it doesn't exist.

You said that due to the Bush administration (which conveniently leaves out the entire legislative branch which says something about your agenda here) safety is now almost non-existent in new mining operations.

That's just complete and utter bullshit. There are state laws, regulations and agencies which address issues of mine safety quite independently of the federal government, such that even if the federal government did nothing at all with regard to mine safety, your statement would still be complete and utter bullshit.

Your "buck stops here" comment while making for quaint political rhetoric ignores the fact that it is state and local government which has the greatest responsibility for the safety and wellbeing of its citizens.

If anyone is being an apologist here it is you, apologizing for those entities which have the greatest responsibility and subsequently the greatest culpability with regard to any lack of safety regulations and their enforcement that there may be here.

se

Re: Mine Safety and Bush [message #57890 is a reply to message #57889] Mon, 23 January 2006 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The President appoints his cabinet members and those positions in the federal government involving the regulatory agencies. Thats what an incoming administration does. He appointed the secretary of the In terior who oversees this administration. It is not the Congress who does this and it is not the states. It is the president and his cabinet.
So much for my agenda and your understanding of government. Of course this is politically motivated; the president's hiree's failed; he's a politician hence the political component of this post.
The regulatory bodies stem from the executive branch and it is their reponsibility to insure that the regulations are in place and enforced not the states, nothing to do with rising or setting suns; just with doing your job.
As far as my post being bullshit I will offer you the same courtesy.
The safety measures required by all of the rest of the worlds mining industry are watered down by the Bush administration. Do some research.

Re:CSPAN is Broadcasting the FEDERAL GOVT Hearing on It's Responsibility in the SAGO mine disaster. [message #57891 is a reply to message #57888] Mon, 23 January 2006 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The hearings concerning the federal governments responsibility regarding the Sago mine disaster are on CSpann 2. You can watch them now and see the truth if you are really serious about this.

Re: Mine Safety and Bush [message #57892 is a reply to message #57890] Mon, 23 January 2006 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I wouldn't mean to minimize the tragedy or deaths of mine workers; but do honestly believe the fed should be responsible for controlling mine safety?
I would think the safety act of 77 was an intent for some guidelines and minimum standards. I don't think the fed should have the responsibility for policing mines. I would rather see it done by the state and county. Who was president in 77, Carter? any idea what the plan was intended for?

Re: Mine Safety and Bush [message #57893 is a reply to message #57892] Mon, 23 January 2006 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well let me address the point of your post here. The mining industry is very labor intensive/dangerous and it's importance to the economy of this country is very high. I can't quote the exact figure but it is substantial the amount of energy we get from coal. I could look it up but I know you know.
The potential damage to property and lives in the event of an explosion or disaster is significant to say the least and the amount of resources needed to extricate and process coal is a significant figure of our GNP.
Those factors alone should be indicative of why the federal government is deeply involved in the regulation of the whole coal mining and energy supply infrastructure.
Then there is the issue of national security; during the energy crisis of the 70's the fact that we rely on coal to a great extent for our energy needs prompted many new legislative initiatives.
But as a simple logical explanation the federal government is deeply involved in every industry that is deemed of importance to our economy and security. Steel/coal/transportation/oil/electrical generating capacity/ you see.
Then from personal experience I can tell you that when lives are at stake; when a mistake or faulty process can kill people as it does pretty regularly in the coal industry; we take it very seriously. I would fax you a report on a train accident where a guy was killed due to a violation of the automatic block signal rules. The report is over 500 pages and it includes stuff all the way back to what the Engineer got on his SAT's. No shit. It's a different outlook when you are the guy in the white bronco they are rushing to the nearest emergency room for a drug test after an accident.
My point? They take the loss of life seriously enough to require that safe practices be monitored and controlled on the federal level so as to provide for oversight and uniformity of code.
One solid mine explosion could take out a town. There is not enough money in most state tax coffers to provide the kind and amount of oversight needed for these industries and they must be monitored by an agency that answers to the highest authority for the reasons I cite.
Thats the best answer I can offer. I am sure a good attorny who deals with the National Transportation Safety Board; or the Secretary of State could provide a much more complete answer. This is only my experience and small knowledge of how this stuff works.
On a personal level; would you really want to be in some coal mine 400 feet underground in a state where you know they have no resources to fund the agencies required to insure your safety? I mean they require by law that a mine safety inspector be onsight during all operations.

So lets say it was a nuclear facility; would you want the local town councilman running the agency for safety of plant operations; Homer Simpson?

Re: Mine Safety and Bush [message #57894 is a reply to message #57875] Mon, 23 January 2006 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
I don't recall there having ever been the kind of saftey stations, that the WVa, legislature is pushing through the State House. But oh yes, Bush is responsable for ALL this nations wrongs for the past 200 yrs.

Previous Topic: No faith in Government
Next Topic: Kraft is laying off 8000 workers.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 22:55:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio