Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » legalities of reverse engineering
Re: legalities of reverse engineering [message #57844 is a reply to message #57843] Fri, 13 January 2006 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Actually Bill after writing that I thought it might make a dumb example but...too late, the button was pushed. Funny; the underpriviledged kids watching TV in your living room.
So tell me; you know something about the Super Atomizing Annular Nozzle?

I had a freind and I go over to his house couple summers ago. He is sitting in his lounge chair in front and there is this water hose hooked to the chair with clamps. He's got the stereo on and he's drinking a beer and on the end of the hose there is this brass contraption. I approach the chair and this mist is swirling all around him. What the F I say; he has a boiler nozzle screwed to the hose and the water pressure is turned on. It pumps this very fine mist all over him.
He's cool as a cucumber sitting there. Seems the mist is so fine that it evaporates off his skin right away and cools him right down. We spent two hours planning how to market this thing; we called it "Mr Misty."
We kept trying to find a way to pressurize the chairs aluminun tubes with water so it would be portable.

Re: legalities of reverse engineering [message #57845 is a reply to message #57844] Fri, 13 January 2006 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I'm ready to pick on your next example! Having been in the jewelry manufacturing for 25 years, I've had plenty of designs and process ripped ripped off by places using cheap labor and people touring your facility. Like the article you linked to lead me to believe, there isn't a lot a person can do. For that matter, nothing is ever settled until somebody runs out of money. People are losing sight of good values the way I see it.

Play misty for me, one time... sounds like a cool idea. what if there was on the back of the chair, an arm that extended up? The arm would collapse and tuck away when the chair folds. The top of the arm could have nozzles spraying for you.

you could have a small plastic water tank that had a little hand pump to pressurize the tank and spray you if no water hose. Like the little portable misting bottles only on the line of a garden sprayer.

Re: legalities of reverse engineering [message #57846 is a reply to message #57845] Fri, 13 January 2006 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes exactly! You sound like Dave; we tried the hand pressure tank and a compressor. The real problem was the nozzle which would be very sensitive to pressure. If the pressure was just a tiny bit off it either would not spray or blow the seals.
He thought of the swinging arm and had it mounted on a track that was timed to rotate in an arc. The track was too brittle though; he used PVC and it kept splitting. And the spray had a very short range as you can geuss; it had to be within about 8/10 inches from the target.
Rube Goldberg; but the thing is it really did keep you cool when it worked; and the mist was so fine that it would evaporate on contact and you never really got wet.
The small tank Idea was good because this used so little water per hour that a one gallon tank lasted half a day.
For a long time he was unemployed by choice and I got so much shit done on my house. Sadly he has returned to work. And married. Bad news.
He has a scheme to buy 52 timeshares then move out of his house.

Also; I don't have another example.

and the reason for a tour is? [message #57847 is a reply to message #57845] Sat, 14 January 2006 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
to honour your success? not bloody likely. Seems that they're up front about finding out how you do things, and then they're let in to do it. Looks like a fairly simple sol'n to me: no tours w/o hiding the good stuff.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: and the reason for a tour is? [message #57848 is a reply to message #57847] Sat, 14 January 2006 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I ordered a Bottlehead kit once and while I was yakking with Eilleen she tells me they have a guy from overseas looking at the shop he is taking pictures of the underside of the equipment. She says they are not too keen on the guy because he is asking all kinds of questions about the circuits/parts/construction methods but not ordering anything. Then he places one order she tells me; has the piece for a while; then wants to return it.
Hard to believe this stuff happenns so blatantly. Thing is all that stuff is pretty basic; what could be the attraction?

Re: and the reason for a tour is? [message #57849 is a reply to message #57848] Sat, 14 January 2006 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Like I said: why let some body in w/o hiding important things from sight first? I have been known to use a big car cover...it's OK to let on that you're doing things which must be kept secret.

So if the point is pushed, out comes a ND and NC and what ever else a solicitor could dream up for the visitor to sign, and see it they get a bit less pushy.

Funny thing is, that at one point I would have been willing to hog-tie my soul in such a fashion. Glad it never came up, that's certain.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: and the reason for a tour is? [message #57850 is a reply to message #57849] Sun, 15 January 2006 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Glad to hear you are not to be tempted.
I'm tempted to swing by and stare in to your garage to find out what gives with that 2A3 amp percolating on the workbench.

come on in! [message #57851 is a reply to message #57850] Sun, 15 January 2006 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
because if you can divine what is going on with the 2A3 project by looking at the garage, I'll want to hire you. The work is going on in the basement, and you're welcome there anytime. Nothing secret going on, and I'll share the whole kit and caboodle with all comers.

I made this same offer to the group I hosted yesterday. Nice meet, and one trooper even packed up a turntable and pre so we could spin vinyl.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: come on in! [message #57852 is a reply to message #57851] Sun, 15 January 2006 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

That's all very nice Douglas, but sometimes you cant hide everything. Sure it's easy to put away the most secret and newly developing technologies. A clever person doesn't need a blueprint. just a piece of the puzzle will do. Perhaps that missing piece to his puzzle is something you think so common or insignificant that you don't even think to hide it.

I hear of this happening when companies have a good customer who does a few million a year for them and they get a walk through of the facility while on a buying trip. There's lots of examples. Now days when I go to Europe it's all but impossible to be let on a factory floor.

Your open door policy is very noble, but this policy will change when your home business get larger.

Re: come on in! [message #57853 is a reply to message #57852] Sun, 15 January 2006 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep; things are a little different when they hit home.
Thats why it's hard to discuss this type of thing.
I keep going back to medicine and the availability of drugs. But that argument has been done to death.
No easy answer.
But what about music and art?

Previous Topic: Cyberstalking law
Next Topic: Cowboys Faggots
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 01 19:18:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers