Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » The long and the short of it
The long and the short of it [message #57635] Fri, 23 December 2005 02:52 Go to next message
Steve Eddy is currently offline  Steve Eddy
Chancellor
I spent several hours today reading through the history of the whole L'Affaire Peerless and find myself not only mindboggled that it should have gone on for so long, but rather thoroughly disgusted with the whole mess.

Here is the long and the short of it.

First, the transformer design in question is not patented nor is it covered by trademark or copyright. To that end someone may obtain said transformer, take it apart to discover its design, and produce transformers using the same design.

While this is just plain sleazy and unethical (and I would hope no one of good conscience would ever patronize someone engaging in such a thing) it is not illegal.

However when someone making such a transformer uses the Peerless name in conjunction with selling said transformer it's a whole other ballgame. And I'll use Douglas' own words to illustrate this critical point.

First, this transformer is not a Peerless.

That is absolutely, positively, 100% correct.

And PRECISELY why using the Peerless name in conjunction with selling the other transformer not only violates the rights of whomever owns the Peerless trademark, but several consumer protection laws as well.

This extends to saying it is "based on" a Peerless transformer as it unfairly takes advantage of someone else's good name for the purpose of selling your own product.

That would require a Peerless/Altec blueprint.

That is absolutely, positively, 100% INcorrect.

Even if the transformer was made using a Peerless blueprint it would NOT be a Peerless transformer. What makes a Peerless transformer a Peerless transformer is its being MADE BY PEERLEES, or by whomever owns the trademark rights to the Peerless name, or by whomever that entity grants license to produce transformers using the Peerless name.

Otherwise, it's just some other transformer. A Heyboer transformer. Or an E-Linear transformer. Or a PakProtector transformer. Or whatever the fuck name you want to stick on it OTHER than Peerless.

se

Re: The long and the short of it [message #57636 is a reply to message #57635] Fri, 23 December 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A few OPTs that "Heyboer" made for Doug and his friends are not "Peerless S265Q", but "modified copy of old Peerless S265Q OPTs, with added E-linear taps, made by Heyboer".
But, obviously - this mess isn`t about those few OPTs, but nice theme for arguing (other themes are grid chokes, measurements, etc.). It`s about deep disagreement that more and more becomes an irrational hate.

Re: The long and the short of it [message #57639 is a reply to message #57636] Fri, 23 December 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MQracing is currently offline  MQracing
Master
Damir:

The text you have in quotes... woud you provide the message number and forum where it is stated as such?

Raher, here is the text I find in 3 posts on the Group buid forum;

:::E-Linear modified Peerless S265:::

please reference post numbers 1763, 1764, and 1765.

It is not and cannot be a modified S265 since we are the only ones who can legitimately build Peerless transformers.

Now... go back and read the text about "passing off" and about
"missappropiation"... both of which define illicit and deceptive business practices.

msl

Re: The long and the short of it [message #57641 is a reply to message #57639] Fri, 23 December 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I`d rather not, thanks...
You know, technically, you don`t have a claim to "Peerless" name, and DST has prior use. You have very flimsy "case", and none at all for the parts numbers.
But, if I`d promise you that I wont abuse any "Peerless" OPT I can meet during the holidays - can you stop for now, because of the Christmas? You can write in "Word" all the weekend what you feel about it, and then post it there in Tuesday. Deal?

Re: The long and the short of it [message #57643 is a reply to message #57641] Fri, 23 December 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Damir writes:

:::...you don`t have a claim to "Peerless" name, and DST has prior use...:::

you should not play lawyer... when your so ill equipped to do so. OTOH I do have a trademark attorney... who has evaluated all of our trademark claims and assures me that we are on solid legal ground.

For your information... prior use of the Peerless namesake as a producer of electronic transformers goes back to 1934. And the test is "first use" of...

and further, rather than you playing lawyer... why don't you read post number 1450 in the dungeon and read the following once again...

Posted by colinhester [ 65.27.130.154 ] on September 15, 2005 at 21:05:17:

In Reply to: Re: in additon to other concerns..... posted by MQracing on September 15, 2005 at 20:46:18:

I think the issue of the "Peerless" ownership has been resolved to both Wayne's and my satisfaction. It's clear you have ownership, and this board will respect your TM rights......Colin

* http://audioroundtable.com/Dungeon/messages/1450.html

at least when Colin was the mod over on Group Build there was some objectivity and no HIDDEN AGENDA. You on the other hand have only been interested in seeing how you can harm our legitimate business interests and provide cover for Dougie.

No wonder your forum is moribund. Your putting too much effort in how to dress up sleazy, deceptive business practices and too little effort into promoting a healthy audio envirnment.

Also... again... the issue of registration of trademarks is not even close to being a determinative test... as federal registration of trademarks is not a requirement for the existence of a trademark.

Again... try to read and comprehend the descriptions of what constitute's "passing off" and "misappropiation". And why these are condemned as deceptive business practices.

msl

Re: The long and the short of it [message #57644 is a reply to message #57643] Fri, 23 December 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Haha, don`t want to talk in Colin`s name, but you know - all the good people from "Group Build" forum have the same opinion about you and your behaviour...that you are just the troll and "Dungeon" fool.
You are not good enough for "Group Build", sorry...

Re: The long and the short of it [message #57645 is a reply to message #57644] Fri, 23 December 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Dungeon fool? You seem to be both unable to control yourself as well as unable to grasp any of the legal or ethical issues involved... no doubt.. due to your hidden agenda and hurt feelings.

But that's ok... by excercising your power indiscreetly and gloating about you banning me from grope build... only makes me moreso aware that you've decimated your readership by 20 percent and that your moderated forum is in it's death throes...

you've done a great job over there Damir since taking over the reins from Colin.

msl

three days ago you were singing my praises... [message #57646 is a reply to message #57644] Fri, 23 December 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Damer wrote:

"You are not good enough for "Group Build", sorry..."

though just three days ago Damer posted the following
on his grope build fourm;

:::Now, that`s a good info, thanks! Must find a time to read it more carefully...:-):::

So who is the dungeon fool who has fallen into an apparent psychosis?

Hope you find your meds.

Re: three days ago you were so-so normal... [message #57648 is a reply to message #57646] Fri, 23 December 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
And dealing with Trolls is similar like with all risky animals - sometimes you must pat it on its head, sometimes you must feed it, and sometimes punish it...

Re: The long and the short of it [message #57650 is a reply to message #57645] Fri, 23 December 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Unable to control? You didn`t understand yet that I pretty much control your behaviour here - just feed you with something stupid here and there and watch your angry replies...entertainment for all!

Previous Topic: None of My Business
Next Topic: Intellectual Property
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 04:46:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout