Home » Audio » Movies & Music » SUPERSIZE ME!
SUPERSIZE ME! [message #5763] Sat, 09 April 2005 10:07 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You gotta’ see this documentary movie – it’s nothing short of astounding.

For those who haven’t heard of it:

A guy, a very, very fit guy, eats nothing but McDonald’s for 30 days. Within 2 weeks it actually POISINS him. His liver starts to fail: his liver chemistries go completely haywire. At one point they flash to his later lab tests and there are at least a dozen abnormals – prior to that, 3 doctors and an exercise physiologist pronounced him extraordinarily fit and healthy.

It’s astounding – the food actually is toxic – treats his liver like benzene would.

He shows passages during the movie from a McDonald’s court filing where they say, several times, that their food is bad for you – they plainly say you shouldn’t consume their product!

This is a must see – if only for it’s view of American culture.

Before you think this rave review is coming from a vegan Wayne’s size let me make one thing very clear – I’d have to lose 100 pounds to get the lead in The Jackie Gleason Story . No shit.

I eat this kind of crap all the time and I know that there’s only one way to get to be a fat bastard, you have to eat like a fat bastard. The point is that given my personal positive bias toward eating crap as a matter of course, I still find the story not only amazing but completely credible.

Re: SUPERSIZE ME! [message #5764 is a reply to message #5763] Sat, 09 April 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Mmmm. Big Mac and fries!

I'm sure fast food isn't much good for me, but I like it anyway. I wish there were more of 'em like Sonic, where you drove in and they brought it to your car.

Re: SUPERSIZE ME! [message #5765 is a reply to message #5764] Sat, 09 April 2005 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Huge discussion going on in the blogoshere concerning that film. It's really about the creation of class distinctions through corporate manipulation. We all like Burger King but it is a crime to fill every school lunchroom with it. They drive out the real meal availability in many places and force those without means to resort to this butchers offal. Then we pay twenty years down the line with the medical bills.

Re: SUPERSIZE ME! [message #5766 is a reply to message #5765] Sun, 10 April 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Seems I heard that Oklahoma was planning to ban them from selling in the schools. Pulling out the vending machines too. So now the school dope dealers will start selling crack and Snickers.

Re: SUPERSIZE ME! [message #5767 is a reply to message #5766] Sun, 10 April 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
What would that be..Crickers? We had a big brouhahah here when the girls at one of the high schools picketed the cafeteria for selling unhealthy foods after they saw the movie. Funny; the food service people denied there was a drop in sales until the local news org. showed pics of the empty cafeteria for a week. Then they required the school provide a 12 ft cold display counter for 6000$ to keep the foods fresh. The school threatened a lawsuit pursuint to the contract to provide"healthy foods".
They bargained the school down until parents agreed to split the cost through donations.
There's a lesson here somewhere.
Maybe; in the end the working middle class pays the freight.

Re: SUPERSIZE ME! --> The Corporation [message #5768 is a reply to message #5763] Sun, 10 April 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Other must-see documentary is "The Corporation". I was amazed.
Though The Corporation is not in the video stores like Supersize Me,
you will never see big business the same again.

This show has been running in theaters longer than Fahrenheit 911.

It just came onto dvd after a theater run of a year-- April to April.

From one crap eating fat bastard to another.

Mr. Pastaface

Re: SUPERSIZE ME! [message #5807 is a reply to message #5767] Thu, 28 April 2005 22:41 Go to previous message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Heh I must see it!

In UK a similar situation-schools providing lunch for little kids, but not fruit and sandwiches but those fake foods,lollies and chips everyday,obesity in kids rising so their quickly changing over to the more expensive food caterers!

Here in NZ no state funded food in schools,but parents choose crap food alot of the time!

Previous Topic: Today's Recommendation: Sergei Prokofiev
Next Topic: After 40+ Years, Louie Louie Still Controversial
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 05:07:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout