Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Eureka!
Re: Eureka! [message #57500 is a reply to message #57499] Thu, 08 December 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ramones, of course!
I had welding practice in my college days during the `80s in a big factory (~17000 workers!), which manufactured atomic reactors, among other things. During the `90s, only a fraction of people work on the military program, and today only a few hundred are workers doing something/anything :-(.
I don`t know, maybe most of the people have similar experiences, like "normal" part of growing-up and life? But, a few days ago I talked with an old friend of mine about music and high-school "company", and almost everyone whom we remembered is dead, crazy, sick, or at least in some other town if not in Netherlands or somewhere...

Re: Eureka! [message #57501 is a reply to message #57500] Thu, 08 December 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats right; they used to play at a place called Speaks out here in Island Park every Saturday before they became real popular.
We had a little different experience here; lots of guys fought in Vietnam and either never came back or came back all screwed up.
Say; the Netherlands doesn't sound too bad. Do they really have Hash Bars there like they say?

Re: Eureka! [message #57502 is a reply to message #57501] Thu, 08 December 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Of course, every junkie`s paradise-dream...:-) But, the reality of everyday life is something else, acc. to the (ex-guitarist) friend of mine who lives there. I`ve never been there - not too hot to travel, and not curious...
Much more interesting are a few good trafo-companies from NL...

Re: Eureka! [message #57503 is a reply to message #57502] Thu, 08 December 2005 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I don't know; everyday life is probably pretty much the same everywhere there is a reasonable community. Maybe not so fine over in Iran or North Korea; but in the majority of Western Nations and I include places like Brazil and Australia/ New Zealand etc. it's probably business as usual.
Look at you; you sound pretty much like us.
Hell they even looked pretty content over in China during this last Presidential trip.
I mean maybe they don't have the discretionary spending and availability of toys and luxuries but in the end it really is more about friends and family than material things anyway.
The only reservation I might have is availability of good health care; and that is disappearing over here anyway.
Anyone part of an HMO??

Don't get me started [message #57504 is a reply to message #57503] Thu, 08 December 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
As an employer with 7 employees getting affordable health insurance is a nightmare we fight with about every year. Increasing rates, or dropping us due to small numbers, or just about any excuse you can name to make it hard.

We currently have basically catastrophic policies which we help out on the deductibles if they need it. All we can afford.

Re: Don't get me started [message #57505 is a reply to message #57504] Thu, 08 December 2005 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
That being a direct result of the power of the insurance lobby and their ability to skew the debate towards the straw-man of frivilous lawsuits.
By taking the spot-light off of what amounts to criminal profits and mis-use of funds the insurance pirates have managed to reduce the debate to a sham and a mockery of civilised discourse.
And our current administration supports their every whim. Thats why you will never get decent health care. It is in the process of becoming a welfare system where the rich get excellent care for fee for service and the rest of us get marginal or worse care from the insurance pirate run health care system.
I sympathise with you and all of the people I know who are victimised by this mafia style enterprise. And what do our elected representatives do? They make it impossible for those with crushing medical debt's incurred through illness to ever dig their way out of trouble by creating impossibly strict medical banckruptcy rules.
Here in New York the better physicians are all going fee for service so they can escape the piratical attacks from the insurance companies.
The rest are seeing offices full of people who have no money and the worst diagnoses. Or the very elderly with no resources.
But hey; were're building hospitals in Iraq; nice new medical facilities for all those people.
No money for the folks in New Orleans though.

heh-heh-heh!!! [message #57544 is a reply to message #57480] Mon, 19 December 2005 18:56 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
at least you didn't forget to wrap a towel round yourself before running out of the bath!!!

Just remember the students were doing their level best to provoke the NG into some sort of outburst. Remember Ghandi and the march to the salt processing center? they marched up to the gate until the guards were too tired to beat them. There were a lot of guards too. Good protest always winds up with a little bit of spilled blood. Usually hurts the folks who spilled it more than those who offered it for the Cause.
cheers,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Well Uncle Joe...
Next Topic: Calendar for 2006.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:39:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers