Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » just say no to shimano
Re: campy [message #57540 is a reply to message #57537] Mon, 19 December 2005 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
Yes they have. They were the hot ticket when I built the wheels back in 95. You have to have a tensiometer to set them however. If you over tighten they will break more easily than steel. I need to rework it before it gets ridden, but I've lost my reference for my tensiometer and Wheelsmith wants $25 to send me a replacement. I've trued them maybe twice in the original mileage on the bike. Not to brag, but I was a damn good wheelbuilder.

I'm impressed, frame and all! All I did to frames was straighten them out when kids slammed into copings, curbs and whatnot. I miss my shop, it was a fun business. Not much money though.

Re: they do... [message #57542 is a reply to message #57539] Mon, 19 December 2005 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Glad to hear that! Happy H-Days to you both. So do you both like the same music?

Re: they do... [message #57543 is a reply to message #57542] Mon, 19 December 2005 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
We like a lot of the same stuff, some of mine, she won't listen to, and the other way around. Just went to see, "Walk the Line" and enjoyed the heck out ov it with her.

Resisting the temptation to wave the red cape and say what I am going to unwind....:)

As much as I'd like to see her solder her way through my Citation II refurb, I think I'll start her on a ground-up. It will be just building, not taking apart and then putting it back together. I am resisting the temptation to pull the Deuce apart and put it back together one bit at a time. All the little solid core inslation has gotten gooey and sticky as it de-polymerizes.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: campy [message #57545 is a reply to message #57540] Mon, 19 December 2005 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MQracing is currently offline  MQracing
Master
Leland wrote:

:::Not to brag, but I was a damn good wheelbuilder.:::

heh... that's something in my book.

:::I'm impressed, frame and all! All I did to frames was straighten them out when kids slammed into copings, curbs and whatnot. I miss my shop, it was a fun business. Not much money though.:::

Framebuilding was fun. I worked for Michael Melton back in 1980. Michael later went on and built the first gen funny bikes for the 84 olympic team. I still have the track tandem that I built in Mike's shop in SC. We took it to the NYC bike show in 1980 and it's been under wraps for the last 26 years... still a virgin.

right now I have the hots for a cinelli tradtional steel frame... while they are still available.

I never worked in a retail bike shop... that takes lot of patience...
and other folks have told me.... it's not the place to get rich either :=)

If you were a good wheel builder you should be adept at diy'ing amps I would guess.

msl

Re: campy [message #57547 is a reply to message #57545] Wed, 21 December 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
The only electronics I ever diy'd was a Heathkit AR2020 back in the late 70's, and a Hafler amp in the early 80's. SS, still have the heathkit. Lots of xovers and such but no tube or serious hifi since then. Time to start however. I have an old heathkit tube integrated from my father in law he built in 54 or 55 that I think I'll revamp once I build some of Wayne's 7pi's. Woodworking, old cars, and old house(more than a hobby) have been the main hobbies for quite a while.

Your tube discussions on other forums here leave me in the dust. Not much on theory anymore, but give me a schematic and I can probably build it, point to point anyway. I tried making a pc board once . Maybe it's easier now.

Re: campy [message #57549 is a reply to message #57547] Wed, 21 December 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hehe, we like to discuss technical details and designs choices even more then building amps (much easier, for sure:-) ).
There will be more work on some projects soon in "Group Build" section - interesting E-linear PP tube amp (new local neg. feedback principle), mosfets/tubes hibrid. Relatively easy for building when PCB for SS components will be design (hopefully soon). You can see the schematic in "Projects" section.
Then "classical" 300B SE design, with all the details - 5 parts of this story already posted, I hope that final schematic and finished amp will be out in a few months...

Re: campy [message #57551 is a reply to message #57549] Wed, 21 December 2005 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Damir:

the group build section-- notwithstanding your desgin, which I've not seen-- is gettting utterly stale...

it's just the hawking of one person's circuit design and his incessant shilling on behalf of one company who he claims to have a "close" relationship with... with not a dash of creativity or inspiration over the last several months... and it's effectively a closed forum that is dominated by one strong personality... not much room at all for others to creatively contribute... nor the climate which would encourage such contributions... it has become one guy's battlefield... fortunately, there are many alternatives.

When I've posted several proposals for recommending a viable, impartial, voluntary, and fair game plan as regards testing for example (and lord knows why that is even in a group buy forum).... each of them have been yanked down... that surely shuts the door toward creating an open envirnment that encourages participation, creativity, equal access, and etc...

I would encourage Leland to look around the web and see the really cool projects that are out there... you can email me privately at acrosound@aol.com and I will try to give you some pointers.

and Leland, stick around, it can only get better :=)

msl

Re: campy [message #57552 is a reply to message #57547] Wed, 21 December 2005 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Leland:

so that I can try to bee more positive :=)

:::Woodworking, old cars, and old house(more than a hobby) have been the main hobbies for quite a while.:::

Well that sounds like more than enough to keep any one guy busy. I like old cars as well... and especially race cars, motorcycles, and street hot rods... are you restoring an old car currently?

Woodworking... I am sure you've been over to the Craftsman forum here at ART, right? It's one of my fave spots here. But I am a complete neophyte when it comes to woodworking.

:::Your tube discussions on other forums here leave me in the dust. Not much on theory anymore, but give me a schematic and I can probably build it, point to point anyway.:::

Boring as shit, heh? sort of like talking to a bunch of brake and suspension engineers if your a layperson.. the angle of the vanes, the pitch of the vanes, the area, the cooling surface... all we hot rodders want to know is will it stop this sprint car at the end of the shoot before I go over the wall and out of the park :+))

so... apologies... and I mean this somewhat sincerely... we should all be exploring the benefits of or the excitement of audio... not playing weenie engineer with each other and to impress the newbee's...

So... often... on any group of forums... they become egnineering centric... and you get a bunch of guys talking about the most mundance shit... and arguing with each other...

whereas, all of us (including me) need to be more helpful and try to focus on offering practical advice and guidance as opposed to dishing out arcane magnetic theory...

even I find the technical discussions of which is better a SRPP or a CF.... boring, boring, snooze.... someone wake me up...

thanks for the compliment... and I realize it was offered sincerely... and it's appreciated...

but you don't want to hear all that technical dry bullshit stuff...

you might want to make something beautiful that sounds good...

best of with the 7pi's... are they a kit?

What wood you gonna use? Any pics? Start yet?

msl

Kansas and old houses... seems picturesque.... idyllic even. Not like an east coast urban center (philly).

Re: campy [message #57555 is a reply to message #57551] Wed, 21 December 2005 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks for the encouragement all. My 7pis will either be cherry or oak. I have the oak, but want to work with some cherry to try it out. There is one unfinished bedroom in my big ol victorian that will get built in armoire's out of cherry next year.

I have a 65 lemans convertible almost done. New top, interior, stereo (to die for, I know how to do car audio right), are all that's left. If I could get about 4 days off I could finish it.

Wood shop time for the last year has been building Fitz's stuff for my son's band. Amp racks, subs, mains, mixer rack, monitors, the works. Two more tops and subs in production right now. Winter time is shop time. My business peaks in the spring and summer and time off then is pretty scarce.

I really want to try some tube amps or gainclones. Gainclones strike me as a good place to start tinkering. Easier than tube amps.

Re: campy [message #57556 is a reply to message #57555] Wed, 21 December 2005 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
Hi Leland:

I was trying to find the 7pis on the Pi site with no luck. can you post a url for the kit?

If you want to wait a year or two... we have a large cherry that's gotta come down on some land that I have in upstate Pa. I was offered some big bucks for the tree... but when she comes down I am going to have it sawn up into boards instead of selling it. I have a boatload of soft maple from some downed trees on my land that is drying.

your lemans convertible... very nice... what powerplant? wasn't the lemans the early or predecessor of the GTO?

mentioning the gain clones... they have also caught my attention... and my ears. I heard a pair of the 47 lab amps and thought they sounded really good. They are, as you suggest, simple to build and quite inexpensive as kits.

speaking of simple... over on diyaudio.com there's a thread on some really "easy to build" tube preamps that run on 24 volts... it's in the tube forum. I didn't know a 6dj8 or a 6c45pi could be run on such low voltage.

and if you ping Steve Eddy (say over on the tube amp and preamp board here at ART) ask (though technically the wrong forum) him about his "one" amp... small as a pen holder SS amp... SE looks like he is doing so cool stuff with simple solid state circuits with input tranneys...

ask SE to put up his "friends don't let friends use AC" button...

What city or town in Kansas are you in?

msl

Previous Topic: Dover PA Judge; Intelligent Design is,"Breathtaking Inanity."
Next Topic: statutory and common law regarding fair business practices
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 02:16:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers