Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means
Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means [message #57275] Mon, 31 October 2005 19:30 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Great another Scalia; in other words write loud but crappy opinions and do nothing. That I guess is the idea; appoint judges who refuse to rule on anything put before them. Maybe this court can appoint the next president also.

Re: Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means [message #57278 is a reply to message #57275] Tue, 01 November 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI John,
If it's not in the COnstitution, how can SUpreme Court Justices rule
on something? THey are only allowed to rule on something in the context of the COnstitution.

Legislating from the bench means: interpreting a law WELL beyond its intended scope, so it in effect becomes a new law. THe role of judges is to simply interpret the law as it was intended by its framer, whether the framers in question are our founding fathers or elected legislators.
Hope this makes sense to you.
-akhilesh

Re: Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means [message #57280 is a reply to message #57278] Tue, 01 November 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I understand your point AK; my position is this: The founding fathers specifically moulded the Constitution to be a fluid; change with the times template for future events beyond what they could percieve at the time. They make that very clear; if one were to read the federalist papers it becomes apparent that was their aim. How could a set of legislation be viable in perpituity? Thats why we call it Interpretation of the law when we act as judicial referees such as the Supreme Court does with every case.
How would you rule in the Microsoft Monopoly case using just the Constitution as written without applying any recent descisions?
How about right to die; since there was no medical means to determine how close to death people were 200 yrs ago?

So; if the court does no interpretation of changing events then what is their purpose except to read the constitution to people?

Oh; and let me say; I know you are not a childishly sarcastic individual and I appreciate that, thats why it's a pleasure to talk with you.

Re: Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means [message #57283 is a reply to message #57280] Tue, 01 November 2005 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Brines is currently offline  Bob Brines
Master
Here you have raised an issue where Constitutional liberals an conservatives will never find common. It is a moral issue and different segments of the population have different views.It is clear that the Founding Fathers desired that any issue be settled at the smallest possible political entity. In the case of right-to-die, you are correct that it was not possible to determine the break-point between life and death nor to do anything about it if it were possible three centuries ago and so, there is no mention of right-to-die in the Constitution. Therefore, this issue is assigned to the States by default. It is out of the purvey of the Federal Government. The only way that the U.S. Supreme Court can get involved is if the laws of a given State were incorrectly applied, but not to rule on the merits of the issue itself. To rule on the merits of the case would be a clear example of judicial legislation: Creation of a law that did not exist.

Now, you may argue (I'm not suggesting that you are) that some issues are so important that the Federal government has a duty to bring all people into compliance with correct and moral behavior, but was not this the cause of the War of Northern Aggression? I refer you back to my first sentence above.

Bob

Re: Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means [message #57284 is a reply to message #57283] Tue, 01 November 2005 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'll take a chance and assume you are serious; even though I can feel the burn coming. You must explain how you mean war of Northern Aggression; is that a purposefull device to expose a fundamental flaw in court application? The basic tenet of states rights and federal rights establishes a balance.
You wouldn't execute someone for a class a misdemeanor in one state and serve a probation in another.
In the right to die intervention you must decide if there is an inherent right of privacy which I believe there is expressed in the Constitution.
If so then the states sacrifice jurisdiction in order to serve the hierarchical scale of Justice inherent in our system.
Concerning the rights and duties of citizens the states cannot abrogate those.
Sec 2 Article 9" The Citizens of Each State shall be entitled to all priviledges and immunities of Citizens in the several states."
What does that say about Abortion?
Amendment 9" The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."
Privacy.
You are a person who travels from state to state; how is it fair that you become legally liable by virtue of crossing an imaginary line called a border within your own country; a lawbreaker by location.

Re: Lawbreaker by location. its a way of life [message #57285 is a reply to message #57284] Wed, 02 November 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

MB, that's the way of the land so to speak. 100's of examples of things that are leagal in one state and illeagal in another. For that matter there are examples of things you can do in one county vs. another county in the same state. Most of these are minor laws, rules and regulations. still there are things left to be governed by the states.
Are you saying you would rather this kind of thing did not happen?

Re: Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means [message #57286 is a reply to message #57280] Wed, 02 November 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
John wrote:
"I understand your point AK; my position is this: The founding fathers specifically moulded the Constitution to be a fluid; change with the times template for future events beyond what they could percieve at the time. "

Sure, John. There is a way to alter the constitution. 2/3 majority ratification by all the states. IT has been amended several times.
Interpretation of English statements that make up the Constitution should not be such a big deal, at least by reasonable minded people. Just in case some of us are unreasonable and read more into it than was intended by the framers of that particular amendment, The SUpreme COurt exists as the final arbiter of what eac hstatement in teh COnstitution means.

"How would you rule in the Microsoft Monopoly case using just the Constitution as written without applying any recent descisions?
How about right to die; since there was no medical means to determine how close to death people were 200 yrs ago? "
If the Supreme Court cannot clearly use the COnstituion to rule on a cse, they have no business ruling on it. They should either uphold a decision made by a lower federal court, or rule it unconstitutional.
Seems quite simple to me.
thanks
-akhilesh

Re: Lawbreaker by location. its a way of life [message #57288 is a reply to message #57285] Wed, 02 November 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well thats the real question. Many of the kinds of things you mention are ordinances which; while they are lawfull entities they mainly deal with localised issues that could not really be extended to the rest of the country. States need rights and priviledges to be able to respond to particular issues that affect them individually.
The Supreme Court is a body of lawgivers that decides how we as a people should conduct our business according to the set of rules laid down by the Founding Fathers who themselves took their point of veiw from the French Model of Democracy Liberty Equality. That would be the way we know what is rightfully our duties, responsibilities and protections from abuse of power.
People seem to forget that the Fathers were deathly afraid of the mis-use of power and it's effects. Thats why there is no written expression by any of them that declares there is even the concept of legislating from the bench.
They saw the House and Senate as administrative bodies that conduct the daily business of life in America.
The Court is the symbol of their allegience to the concepts that they fought to create in our government; that of protection from the majority for the minority; freedom of expression; fairness of treatment for everyone and the right basically to be left alone by the government as much as possible.

This is my personal belief and I'm stickin' to it.
( sorry if it sounds like a lecture; it's a personality defect I have.)

Re: Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means [message #57289 is a reply to message #57286] Wed, 02 November 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
How can something be considered unconstitutional if it has no reference in the constitution?
Would it not have to be addressing a constitutional issue to be "Unconstitutional?" Meaning not allowed by the constitution?
That would eliminate most of our body of decided law and bring us back into the 18th century.
Thats why it is "Interpreted", no?
Isn't that their job; to "interpret the meaning of the constitution" as applied to issues before the law?
If you read the document there isn't much there; certainly not anything you could use to finalise any legal position; thats why it is Interpreted.
Using that premise black people would still be 3/5ths of a person. Because at the time the Legislatures' wanted it that way.

Re: Still no coherent explanation of what legislating from the bench means [message #57290 is a reply to message #57289] Wed, 02 November 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I thnk their job is to see existing legislation, and events, and see if they agree with the meaning of the constitution. So, yes, they need to have a clear understanding of what the target legislation/event is, and what the constituion means. They then rule the legislation/event constituional or not.
So, if State A's legislature proposes a law, and the SUpreme COurt rules it unconstituional, then the law is struck down.
Similalry, if the Congress passes a law, and it is found ot be unconstitutional, it is struck down.
Unconstituional would mean inconsistent with the laws in the constitution.

A strict contructionist would interpret the consitution narrowly, while one who "legislates from the bench" would read all sorts of things in the constituion that are not there.

I have no idea about the 3/5 of a person, i don't see that in the constitution.

-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Yeah but it worked and there will be hearings thank God
Next Topic: Nice; Rumsfeld opens new prisons on the site's of the old concentration camps.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 17:54:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio