Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Bill Gates Speech to Mt Whitney High School
Bill Gates Speech to Mt Whitney High School [message #57235] Sat, 22 October 2005 09:35 Go to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I realize this is old. But it's a good speech and is worth reading again. And no, I can't vouch for it's authenticity.

Bill Gates' speech to MT. WHITNEY HIGH SCHOOL in Visalia, California.

To anyone with kids of any age, or anyone who has ever been a kid, here's some advice Bill Gates recently dished out at a high school speech about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school.

Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it.

Rule 2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $40,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping - they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you find yourself. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

Re: I think A. Lincoln was the first guy to give that speech [message #57236 is a reply to message #57235] Sat, 22 October 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So... what?; you have low self-esteem from flipping burgers and watching TV feeling guilty for being mean to those nerds in the High School where you were rewarded for doing nothing and have a mean boss?
And think your parents are boring?

Behind every success story is a Father-in-Law desperate for his daughters husband to look like he isn't a drag on the family name.

Or a wife with a great lawyer.

Behind every Bill Gates is a couple million guys who thought they had a good idea too.

The official recipe for success in the real world.
Have a building on campus at Yale named after your uncle.
Have a trust fund in perpituity laid by for you by your adoring Mom.
Have a family name traceable to the Mayflower.
Have a set of great grandfathers who killed indians and took their land that happened to have oil in it.
Have a family that bought land next to the superfund site for pennies then had the government clean it up and gentrify the nieghborhood through political gerrymandering.
Kiss the biggest ass in the building.
Hustle old ladies out of their about to be foreclosed homes.
Be born looking like Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt.
Join a wall street brokerage firm as a mail clerk then extort and threaten your way to the middle office and learn to play golf.
I have more advice also.

Or stay broke; and struggle; by working hard and not taking any shit from pin-head managers who want you to laugh at their jokes; vote republican and pay your taxes regularly.

Re: nope, not a chance! [message #57237 is a reply to message #57236] Sat, 22 October 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I thought my mother was the first! My parents are both liberals. Just a step short of saving a jungle, i'd say. I dont see where politics goes into this one. You either work hard or hardly work, take your pick. Those are th rules of the road I grew up with and I know it came from my grandparents too.

good, bad or indifferent. I grew up in that lifestyle and I'd like to know what happenned to it?
Maybe my parents said the same and theirs before them...

Re: Bill Gates Speech to Mt Whitney High School [message #57238 is a reply to message #57235] Sat, 22 October 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
When I was in high school, some jerk who eventually had the guts to speak to us, punk kids, in that patetic manner would probably (at least) find his limmo pissed and spatt on and decorated with can spray...

Re: Bill Gates Speech to Mt Whitney High School [message #57239 is a reply to message #57238] Sat, 22 October 2005 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Damir; you are a wild man. What if he offered you 50$ to listen?

Re: nope, not a chance! [message #57240 is a reply to message #57237] Sat, 22 October 2005 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah but Bill; you're talking about working people. Thats us; the rich, as they say are different.

I have my own definition of how to get by as I am sure you do also. I don't need Bill Gates to explain it to me.

I am not sure what the point of this post concerning Gates was; he was a bright guy; and also very lucky. My dad always said It's good to be smart and lucky but if you have to choose then I'd rather be lucky than smart.

Re: Bill Gates Speech to Mt Whitney High School [message #57241 is a reply to message #57239] Sat, 22 October 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, for $50 you can buy lot of can-sprays... but, no - we were uncorruptable, those were a good times.
I remember another friend who actually pissed on the statue of some fucking Communist/WW2 leader in front of 1000 people - performance, school has his name and got the statue, too... Yes, he was thrown out from school and get a few months of prison, but he didn`t care. He died about 10 years later, H - overdose...

Re: Bill Gates Speech to Mt Whitney High School [message #57242 is a reply to message #57241] Sat, 22 October 2005 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
10 months for urination in a public place? What would you get for something serious like jaywalking?

Re: nope, not a chance! [message #57243 is a reply to message #57240] Sat, 22 October 2005 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I understand your concern John. I disagree when it comes to Gates though. Consider this if you will. Gates doesn’t strike me as snobby rich people. He studied hard, got smart, dropped out, started up a thing and got lucky? or had a not such a bad idea of a product and it took off? He teamed up with other smart people and builds a powerful position. I'm pretty jealous but I think he paid some dues.
He lives a modest life for all he has amassed. Does he have anything he wants, and material things beyond your wildest imagination? Of course he does. He is now one of the richest men in the world.
This is a guy who did work for it. He did not earn his money the old fashioned way, by inheriting it.
Still yet, He gives a lot of it away. He very well may have given away to charity more than the number two richest guy in the states has earned. I don’t have the numbers but it's a lot.
I don’t need Bill Gates to tell me how to live my life either. But for the richest man in the world to take a stand with our kids today that all is not a painted picture and your going to have to think your way and work your way through a few things. Well, that’s OK by me.
To bu lucky is the icing on the cake. a definate PLUS!

Re: nope, not a chance! [message #57244 is a reply to message #57243] Sat, 22 October 2005 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Oh yeah; he was as I said a bright guy. Steve Jobs may not agree so much but thats between those two. I didn't mean to cast aspersions on Bill he is a true philanthropist. My intention was to point out that he is very definately a one shot deal and very lucky to boot. It's nice he has some ideas to help some of the troubled youth with a transcription of the truth.
My kid works harder than I ever have or ever would have at his age. So it's hard to become sanctimonious with him. And Just like in my generation we had Howard Hughes their generation has Bill G.
I just don't think his experiences will have a lot of relevance to the everyday individual.
The cliche' of the slothfull couch potato kid with his head buried in computor games just doesn't pan out here. I see a lot of real hard working young men in his group. I spare the details but believe me their schedule would have crippled me at their age.
I just wanted to party; Bills advice is extended about two generations too late. What I remmember about High School and college is...well I forgot. Too much gettin' at the gettin' place.

Previous Topic: ManualBlock...
Next Topic: Again...:-)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 00:17:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout