Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Hey, Honey! Do you smell something funny?
Hey, Honey! Do you smell something funny? [message #57183] Tue, 11 October 2005 12:01 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
http://www.nola.com/newsflash/louisiana/index.ssf?/base/news-20/1129041843218110.xml&storylist=louisiana

Re: Hey, Honey! Do you smell something funny? [message #57184 is a reply to message #57183] Tue, 11 October 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Whats going on down there Charlie; how's the cleanup going?

Re: Hey, Honey! Do you smell something funny? [message #57192 is a reply to message #57184] Fri, 14 October 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Very slowly - most of the city doesn't have electricity, the FEMA-contracted debris removal people are revolting because they're not getting paid even though FEMA monitors signed their bills before they were submitted - finding a job paying minimum wage here (eg not wait staff plus tips jobs) is pretty rare but now Rally's is paying $10 per hour, Burger King $12 per hour plus $500 per month bonus for a year - there's nobody to work so businesses can't open and unless businesses open there's no revenue to hire so there's no work - only major corporations have the money to bring in workers and start up again - no Coke products, local bottler got squished - weird to see even the most commonplace products hard to find - everything operates limited hours; hard to buy stuff - still no mail to my house - with roads and bridges screwed up plus all the out-of-towners here to make a buck traffic is pretty unbelievable - Allstate refuses to settle or even send adjusters to any claims; complete stonewall - State Farm's been pretty good to most people - one guy said yesterday "Katrina got me wet, but State Farm fucked me" - there's a t-shirt in that one.

Out here in the burbs all utilities but cable are back in business but other than that there's not much happening - no reconstruction going on - maybe people are waiting for insurance checks - except for the utilities being back and the stuff pushed to the sides of the roads it's not a whole lot different than it was on August 30 outside the city except that 1/2 of a critical bridge opened up yesterday and in the city the last of the water got pumped out on Wednesday.

Re: Hey, Honey! Do you smell something funny? [message #57193 is a reply to message #57192] Fri, 14 October 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sucks.
My brother in law is a vice president for Aetna; he's complaining because he might not get a great bonus this year. He gets some pay in tax free muni's; one of those shelters no one seems aware of.

How about the family; everyone o'kay?

Re: Hey, Honey! Do you smell something funny? [message #57194 is a reply to message #57193] Fri, 14 October 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yeah, John, everybody's fine. Thanks for asking.

We had the Corps come by and patch the roof - "Dade County Blue Roof" - we've got the house cleaned up and if I get off my fat ass I'll have one room redone by Monday morning.

You gettin' seriously wet up there?

Re: Hey, Honey! Do you smell something funny? [message #57195 is a reply to message #57194] Fri, 14 October 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'm growing gills. Not to complain; compared to your situation everything is fine.
So; will you'all be able to rebuild to pre-katrina?

Re: Hey, Honey! Do you smell something funny? [message #57196 is a reply to message #57195] Sat, 15 October 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
We're just fine - our only problem is getting somebody to do the work.

The roof is 12/12 where the biggest hole is and that's just too steep for a fat old man like me to work on. I probably could work from the attic but once I got the rafters up there's no way I can deck it over.

The rest of the inside stuff is floors and paint (a little sheetrock). I'm making modest progress on that front.

Insurance company is very humorous -
$41.25 to paint a 12 x 12 ceiling, two coats prime and one coat finish. I don't know why they don't have a category called "fuck you" and be done with it.

Re: Hey, Honey! Do you smell something funny? [message #57197 is a reply to message #57196] Sat, 15 October 2005 10:54 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Tell the agent to find someone to do the work.

Previous Topic: Future of Europe
Next Topic: So; I'm watching Fox News...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 16:14:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio