Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » 2 B A Drug Addict in NO
This just about sums it up [message #56832 is a reply to message #56830] Sat, 03 September 2005 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well said; however, I would have left off the "too" in the first sentence.....Colin

Re: This just about sums it up [message #56833 is a reply to message #56832] Sat, 03 September 2005 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; You all have me flummoxed. Who built and maintained the levee's; who is responsible for declaring a national emergency and releasing the funds to pay for services. I am non-plussed at the thought that the Feds have no responsibility here. Then a poor state like Missisippi gets nothing since they have almost no budget to begin with and have no recourse to the type and amopunt of supply and rescue equipment needed on that scale. So they get nothing I guess. They have no standing to recall the military rescue; they can't even call the coast gaurd; that is a federal service; so they sink I guess.
Freakin' amazing.

Re: 2 B A Drug Addict in NO [message #56834 is a reply to message #56826] Sat, 03 September 2005 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Bill; as always the voice of reason. I'm gonna miss Charlie and you could be a little less scarce around here too in my book. It gets lonely trying to make sense sometimes. Like flinging sand against the tide.

Re: 2 B A Drug Addict in NO [message #56835 is a reply to message #56825] Sat, 03 September 2005 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It's irresponsible to fail to provide the leadership you were elected to provide while people suffer and die as a result.

You are correct [message #56836 is a reply to message #56835] Sat, 03 September 2005 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Believe what you want. President Bush stepped up when it was clear that the mayor of NO and the governor of LA could not handle the situation.

Would you like to see some links where some are proposing that Katrina was a scalar-war designed to cause massive damage, just so Cheney/Halliburton could get the clean-up contract, which they were give yesterday?.......Colin

Re: You are correct [message #56837 is a reply to message #56836] Sun, 04 September 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I am sure you have those my friend; they are filed next to the area 57 section, right?
And the Alligators in the NYC sewers are a real threat.
Gotta love those bloggers; idle hands and all that.
I used to read the blogs a couple yrs ago; but they seemed to ratchet up the bad craziness as more and more of them went online and they vied for attention; now it's not only pointless even reading the good ones, it's actually sad that these people ruined the whole concept of the citizen journalist.
Another idea brought to you by technology run amok.

Re: 2 B A Drug Addict in NO [message #56840 is a reply to message #56835] Sun, 04 September 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
Manualblock,

You are correct as the other post states. But the failure was "MORE" at the state and local level to act than it was at the federal level. The Governor bears the ultimate responsiblility to take point in any kind of relief effort. She bears the bilk of the responsibility here. The gaurd works for her, noy Bush. Only if he had federalized the gaurd troops, could he have taken control, and no Governor will take kindly to that action. George could have, and should have, acted earlier, but he was trying to give the governor the chance to get it right. All the while people died.

Don't get me wrong here. The President should have stepped in 24-48 hrs. earlier. It was plain to see Governor Blanco was in over her head by Tuesday morning. But to do so would have required Bush to step on a lot of toes, that simply refused to be stepped on .

Re: You are correct [message #56846 is a reply to message #56837] Sun, 04 September 2005 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
John, I'm so glad you saw the humor. I was a bit worried I would come off as an insensitive smartass.......Colin

Re: This just about sums it up [message #56847 is a reply to message #56833] Sun, 04 September 2005 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
Simple fact is the mayor and governor need to declare a state of emergency, before the president can declare a state of emergency at the federal level. To do this prematurely would violate the states sovereignty.

This doesn't make a bit of difference to the poor shmoe waiting for help to come. But legally and politically certain things must happen before the president can act.

The case of LA, even at the late hour he acted, Bush ursurped some of Gov. Blanco's authority. I'm sure there will be some fall out over that.

Drug addicts anyplace have problems! [message #56848 is a reply to message #56834] Sun, 04 September 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I sure hope Charlie will be rebuilding and wired back into the web before too long.

Anyone who thinks the government didn’t take too much time or dragged their feet getting help and assistance to the gulf coast for this storm would be a short lived person if they had balls to voice that opinion in one of the area's that is still being evacuated.
Did the locals fall down on the job? Maybe so, but the feds knew this was going to be a major disaster before it even hit. There could have been trucks and supplies waiting upstate for the first break in weather.

Hind sight is always a great thing and what I can see pretty clearly is that there are people who are not capable of handling this kind of situation. Does it matter if they are elected or hired? Political or private sector? The people heading up organizations and groups cant be allowed to sit around in wonderment.

To think, FEMA did a study in NO itself, just last year as a practice run from the threats of the big hurricane last fall. Among other things it was found that the levees would most likely fail with a category 3 and greater hurricane and the city would flood.

The idea of people looting grocery stores for food and supplies although not legal should be acceptable under the emergency situation for survival.
The looters taking things not needed for survival, raping and pillaging the communities, shooters and gangs running like dogs should all be corralled up like the animals they are and sent to Guantanamo.
For that matter, the gas stations that all raised the price of gas this past week for product still in their holding tanks should be spanked equally. Nothing like a little supply and demand frenzy to rile up a good gouging.

Previous Topic: Catman
Next Topic: A picture from today`s hike
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 05:11:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout