Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Blockbuster
Blockbuster [message #5670] Sat, 19 February 2005 08:54 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So what do we think about the new Blockbuster no late fee scam? Keep the movie 8 days and the bill you for the full price. Two new small video places have opened by me recently; maybe this is the warning shot for the Big guy. Same ten movies every time you go in there; I let my membership lapse.

Re: When the question is late fees......... [message #5672 is a reply to message #5670] Sat, 19 February 2005 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
.......the answer is Netflix.
I pay $18 bucks a month and watch an average of 13 movies. They show up in my mailbox in their own return PPD mailer. Thousands of titles to choose from your PC.
Who needs Blockbuster?

Re: Blockbuster [message #5673 is a reply to message #5670] Sat, 19 February 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Sucks to be you if you go past the deadline.

I never use BB. There's local outfit called Family
Video with locations all over the area. FV has first-runs,
recently viewed (older) for a buck and a selection of basic stock
at 2 for dollar. They have selection of kids movies for free.
Sailor Moon is in the kids section but I don't know why.

You may want to check out your library to see what they
are doing with media. Sometimes there's a wait so if you
have to be Mr. Firstnighter (like the old radio show) then
you'd have to stick to the stores.

I never go anyplace but FV and they have a good steady
clientelle. What's funny is that here in Joe McCarthy's home
town, this place also has an adult section in the back
which is monitored but not seen by the general browsers in
any offensive way. Something for everybody. And they haven't
been busted since they opened 10-15 years ago. I think they have
20 locations.

So it's cheap and, like the sign says, has something for the
whole family.

Bill says he gets stuff delivered. For me that would take
the fun out of it. I have no kids so seeing the running and
hearing the screaming is fun for me.

Re: When the question is late fees......... [message #5675 is a reply to message #5672] Sun, 20 February 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think Netflix is probably the reason why Blockbuster changed their business model. I was shocked to hear they did this, since the last I heard, Blockbuster made more money from late fees than from movie rentals returned before the deadline. I guess Netflix must have taken too much business. They knocked the block off Blockbuster.

Here's another funny thing. Alona always called 'em "Blockbastards." That's just what her ears heard and what she tended to repeat. I guess she didn't pay atention to the sign; Even after I pointed out how funny that was and showed her the actual name, she still called them "Blockbastards." The name stuck.

But I'm still too spur of the moment to sign up with Netflix. I do a lot of business with Blockbuster. But I always return the next night too, paranoid about the late fees. Hell, that's the reason I put a hot cam and stuff in the Olds. Gotta get those damn movies back on time.

Re: Late fees and the laughter (screams) of children [message #5676 is a reply to message #5675] Sun, 20 February 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
When American Express bought us (Shearson), they made a point of filling us with "inside information". One of the tidbits I carry around was/is that their #1 source of profit was the interest on the "float" of the Travellers Cheques. Everybody had $20 or $100 bucks of those cheques in their sock drawer. Over a billion dollars at any given time!
No surprise about Block-bastards(!) revenue.
And I love to hear the laughter of children in my store when it turns to shrieks of terror as I come upon them unawares while driving my forklift....

Re: Late fees and the laughter (screams) of children [message #5677 is a reply to message #5676] Sun, 20 February 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: When the question is late fees......... [message #5678 is a reply to message #5675] Sun, 20 February 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Block-Bastards; man that is too funny. I have to remmember that.

Re: Blockbuster [message #5679 is a reply to message #5673] Sun, 20 February 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Lon; did you see I love Huckabees?

Re: Blockbuster [message #5680 is a reply to message #5679] Sun, 20 February 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I only read a little about it in Film Comment magazine.

What's the news?

Re: Blockbuster [message #5681 is a reply to message #5680] Sun, 20 February 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Unwatchable. I assumed with the interesting cast it might work but; mish-mosh of ideas slapped together. It appeared to be a poor approximatoin of the Hudsucker Proxy/Putney Swope. Without the wit.
Lot of half-baked budhistt philosophy applied to modern advertising and marketing culture. And the current infatuation with therapy.
I would take a pass on it. Thought maybe you might have seen it.

Previous Topic: Sandra Dee died today...........................
Next Topic: Special Features
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 25 12:38:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout