Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Krispy Kreme
Krispy Kreme [message #56595] Thu, 11 August 2005 05:02 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I was listening to the radio this morning, and there was a report about the latest findings about Krispy Kreme. A comment was made that it trumped even the fraud at Worldcom and Enron because at least in those cases, the lies were done to protect companies that made "important" services like energy and telephone. Krispy Kreme's deception was seen as being less "worthy" because they were just making donuts.

That got me thinking. The whole deal about these kinds of deceptions are that someone or a small group of people are trying to make their organizations look more successful than they really are. The idea is that popular things sell. If a stock offering looks strong, people want to buy it more. The company is better able to get bankers to finance them. The public perceives the company as more worthy, and they tend to purchase its products and services more.

This brings back the issue of internet shills. The same thing happens here on the internet, when the bloggers boost a company or when they put it down. If it's an honest article, that's one thing. But when it's a faceless bunch, there is too much room for shills and sockpuppets. That's why we run into this kind of thing in discussion boards, where shills and sockpuppets roam the net pluging their companies or putting down their competitors.

The radio host talking about Krispy Kreme this morning was less sensitive to fraud when it didn't seem important enough to him. It's like he was saying fraud is forgiveable on the little stuff, but there's a threshold there where you cross the line. Some are just little white lies. Of course, if a deceptive competitor gains an unfair advantage or if you or your company is harmed, it isn't a "little white lie" to you. But maybe if it's entertaining enough, or "just under the radar" and doesn't get the attention of say an Enron or a Worldcom, maybe the public is willing to overlook a certain amount of deception.

What say you?

Muffin Man [message #56596 is a reply to message #56595] Thu, 11 August 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Some people like cupcakes better - I for one care less for them!

Re: Muffin Man [message #56598 is a reply to message #56596] Thu, 11 August 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
With; A Little Green Rosetta!
It Makes A Muffin Betta'

(This is the central scrutinizer.)

Re: Krispy Kreme [message #56599 is a reply to message #56595] Thu, 11 August 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi Wayne,

This kind of reminds me of a poll/story I once read concerning stealing. Kind of went something like this. If your neighbor was paying you to do some work around his/her house and when he/she paid you for the work they made a mistake and over paid you in cash by $50.00 Would you give the money back? Most people said yes. But if you were in Walmart and the cashier by mistake gave you $50 too much would you give that money back. A lot of people said no. They justified this by the fact that Walmart was a big company that could eat the $50 mistake. I think this is similar to the excuses given for illegally downloading music? A big industry so it's not really stealing if it's only a small percentage of what the company makes.

So my point is this. If it's a small enough amount people don't consider it stealing for some reason. I am no Saint for sure but I think stealing is stealing whether it's a $1 or a million.

Re: Krispy Kreme [message #56600 is a reply to message #56599] Thu, 11 August 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
If the price of CD's is illegally fixed and eventually results in a court case that requires the manufacturer refund money to all those who paid that price. If you downloaded one of the CD's in question from a P2P service; who is more culpable? You, or the manufacturer? Should you go to jail for copying a CD that was priced illegally?
If Wal-Mart promises to create jobs and provide income to a town in return for a tax deferment and they abandon the store after the tax deferment runs out and leave the mess for the citizens to pay to have cleaned up; if one of those citizens takes a roll of paper towels and doesn't pay, who is more culpable? If Wal-Mart steals a half a million dollars in tax deferments then bails out and leaves 3/4's of a million dollars in expenses to repair the abandoned site; are the citizens right to appropriate from Wal-Mart the equipment to clean the site up? Is that stealing?

Re: Krispy Kreme [message #56601 is a reply to message #56599] Thu, 11 August 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Besides, if you download MPEGs and burn a CD, you don't get the groovy record cover artwork.

Seriously, I think there is some merit to the arguments of archival copies verses illegal distribution copies. I also think there is something to the distribution for airplay, like on radio stations, and the benefits of the free advertising it brings. That's a different matter than setting up a pirate record label and selling stolen stuff.

But I'm with you on the idea. I'm not mister morality or anything, but I do see some BS on the messageboards that I can do without. What I'd like to remind people here is that when a guy shills his stuff on internet messageboards, it is unfair competition against the one who doesn't. When a place is run amok with sockpuppets, it's not only an entertainment or an irritant, depending on your position.

It's fraud.

Re: Krispy Kreme [message #56602 is a reply to message #56600] Thu, 11 August 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Let's not forget the politicians - either party. Don't we all sort of expect them to be more attentive to special interest groups than to their individual constituents? Does anyone expect that they can go into their congressman's office empty handed and have their concerns bring any sway at all?

Re: Krispy Kreme [message #56603 is a reply to message #56595] Thu, 11 August 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Those donuts never tasted as good as Dunkin' Donuts anyway. In fact they sucked up here; maybe not in the original location. Yep; Dunkin' Donuts are the best. But let's look at the greed of the Franchisee's. They knew upfront that the normal franchise model does not sell the equipment at inflated prices; most don't even sell the equipment. And as soon as you see the word Derivitives in your Corporate report, run. There are so many red flags in this company that who would buy a franchise or approve the loans or any thing else about it. So the guy from Enron is brought in to bail them out. Great.
To keep it short; no one should have been buying franchises or purchasing stock in this company; but they did, why?
Greed.
If you look to strike it rich; there are twenty guys ahead of you. Thats the Krispy Kreme motto. I remmember when they expanded into New York, lots of guys were touting the stock as a winner. My buddy told me, you buy this Donut all you will get is the hole.
The Sheep always get sheared.

Re: Krispy Kreme [message #56604 is a reply to message #56600] Thu, 11 August 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Doesn't matter who is more culpable. They are both stealing. Both are wrong IMO.

As I said I am no Saint myself. But I do know right from wrong.

I'll leave this here. No desire to debate further.

Re: Krispy Kreme [message #56605 is a reply to message #56601] Thu, 11 August 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I agree Wayne, It's not only fraud is pathetic.

That "other audio web site" as you know, is rampant with this kind of thing. The end result is it ruins the discussion board for the real posters. You can't trust anyone to give you correct advice if you need it. It might be a shill or a sockpuppet. It's a real shame. I don't know of anyway to prevent it either.

Previous Topic: this is kind of amusing
Next Topic: wheew; you all are wearing me out here.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:20:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio