Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » amplifiers
amplifiers [message #56484] Tue, 12 July 2005 15:46 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Pondering the state of my audio world some things have started to present themselves as self-evident. I could not put my finger on the cause of this lingering angst I was experiencing until I followed a current thread on the Joe-list. It has become apparent to me and this thread I speak of has brought that aspect to light that the new problem that is distracting people from good sound is the concept of "modeling".
If the Transistor was responsible for the demise of good audio in the late 60's-80's. And the CD"perfect sound forever" doctrine killed it from early 80's to late 90's; then I think the concept of "modeling" is the current shibboleth.
The most intensively modeled speaker in memory belongs to the Usher brand. They are modeled to within an inch of their lives.
Hearing one of the models in their line.. very detailed,hyper-resolving and totally lacking in musicality and life.
Tedious.
Now the amplifiers are undergoing the same "modeling" treatment.
What do we have? Same thing.
It took someone to point that out to me but it became clear as an un-muddied lake as soon as the realisation hit.
Time to return to the old Eico HF-20's for a true music fix. Those old designers listened to their stuff.

Models, patents, how far off topic can I go [message #56485 is a reply to message #56484] Tue, 12 July 2005 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't mind models, they just let you try something on for size. With a good mathematical model, you can do some testing like what you would do with a physical model. But if your modeling tools are good, you can change parameters easier than rebuilding the physical model to test a change. Once you're close, make a physical model to confirm your expectations.

Then again, I think you might be talking about synthesized filters. There are "modeling amps" that are made to let you choose a preset sound. It's for guitarists and musicians and that's a whole different deal.

The thing that I find useless is the number of audio patents for silly stuff. I'm all for intellecual property, it's arguably more important than physical property. Good ideas are valuable, a better mousetrap catches more mice. But what's with the patented pet rocks? Most patents are marketing ploys, nothing more. It's a way to lend credibility to an otherwise meaningless proposition. That way you can say you've got a "patented dog polisher" instead of just a dog polisher and hope people are impressed.

When I see the words "patent pending" on an audio product, I know for sure it's a dud. I can't think of an audio related patent made in the last half century that impressed me. I don't think there has been a legitimate invention in audio since probably the transistor. Lots of good implementations of existing technologies and lots of incremental improvements. Those are important, in and of themselves. But when I see an audio device with the words "patent pending" on it, I can't help but immediately discount it as lacking real usefulness, and trying to borrow some credibility via the PTO instead.

Re: Models, patents, how far off topic can I go [message #56486 is a reply to message #56485] Tue, 12 July 2005 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
But you're discussing audio specific patent awards here, is that right. It almost sounds as if you include all patent apps in your response.
The thing is even with current testing methods and modeling programs the improvements in electronics is weak at best and many times just seems to make things worse. I would hazard to say the best applications for modeling programs apply to speaker drivers as they are more mechanical in nature.

Re: Models, patents, how far off topic can I go [message #56487 is a reply to message #56486] Tue, 12 July 2005 20:19 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's right, I'm talking about audio patents. I've seen junk patents in other industries too, but audio seems particularly bad.

Previous Topic: Grocery carts!
Next Topic: To Manualblock, Damir and colinhester....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:38:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio