Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Some humor
Re: Some humor [message #56447 is a reply to message #56445] Mon, 27 June 2005 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Without a doubt the greatest. But you have Redd Foxx influence reversed. Richard always accredited his influences to Foxx and Slappy White and Moms Mabley. When he tells the sory of the monkey sticking his dick in his ear; unbelievable.

Job interview [message #56449 is a reply to message #56433] Mon, 27 June 2005 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The first joke reminds me of a job interview I heard about where I used to work. The HR person, a blonde twit, asked an old ink technican, whom she was interviewing, what kind of animal he would like to be. Mind you, this was a roundtable interview with everyone from the pres on down atteding. Without missing a beat, the gentleman said, "A whale, of course." The HR twit asked, "Why a whale?" He politely answered, "Because they have a ten foot tongue and can breath out the top of their head." The HR twit was NOT amused. He was hired on the spot. This has been verified by several people that were attending......Colin

Re: Job interview [message #56450 is a reply to message #56449] Mon, 27 June 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: Some humor [message #56451 is a reply to message #56445] Mon, 27 June 2005 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Absolutely. I watched Silver Streak a few nights ago, just to take me back. Pryor was one of those guys that could do stand up for the adults or tone it back for PG movies and still be completely natural. That is really something, if you asked me, and shows depth of character. Richard Pryor is not a one dimensional comedian. He's an interesting man of many talents.

Re: Some humor [message #56452 is a reply to message #56447] Tue, 28 June 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I wasn't trying to say Foxx was influenced by Pryor - sorry if it came across that way. My point was that Pryor went the next step - in his act he built a world and took you there. Foxx relied on the "shared experience" thing to deliver a bunch of jabs.

Re: Some humor [message #56453 is a reply to message #56452] Tue, 28 June 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sorry; read that wrong. I think a lot of Foxx and the early black guys, even the kings of comedy, stem from the old streetcorner playing the dozens; trading insults at a rapid clip. Looks like that aspect of entertainment never really died in that community vis a vis rap and hip-hop.
Pryor really helped invent story comedy as you say.
BTW thats a great link to anyone looking to appreciate Pryor, that compilation CD looks to be perfect.

Thanks!! [message #56454 is a reply to message #56449] Tue, 28 June 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
My blood pressure was all high and I was pissed from the eminent domain thread, and your story brought a smile to my face. It was amusing on several levels.

Re: Thanks!! [message #56455 is a reply to message #56454] Tue, 28 June 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Did you see on Drudge that someone has filed an eminent domain claim to take Souter's house / land and build a hotel. Aparently where Souter lives, it will only take 3 of the 5 council members to pass the proposal. This will be a riot to watch......Colin

Re: Some humor [message #56459 is a reply to message #56453] Fri, 01 July 2005 20:31 Go to previous message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I always liked Sam Kinison as well...I'm sure he watched pryor as well, truly funny guys.

russellc

Previous Topic: Another sports god
Next Topic: Let it be, let it be...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:41:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers