Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Peterson is toast
Peterson is toast [message #56154] Wed, 16 March 2005 18:23 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The guy is cooked. Burnt toast. Dead man walking.

I don't really feel strongly that the guy should fry. I don't feel strongly that he shouldn't either though. I didn't know him, and it's none of my business. I empathize with both the family of Laci Peterson and with the family of Scott Peterson. No one wins.

What do you think about the Scott Peterson trial?

Makes me think about the movie The Green Mile.

Re: Peterson is toast [message #56155 is a reply to message #56154] Thu, 17 March 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The "Jury" made it clear why they convicted him. Every statement out of their collective mouths reflected on his lack of remorse and his stoney faced appearence. Well; if you didn't do it; you wouldn't be remorsefull... would you? The circumstantial evidence looked like he could be quilty, but since when do we kill someone based on circumstantial evidence?
They(the jury) all looked way too smug and self-righteous at the sentencing, talking about going out to Dean's for drinks on the air.
Laughing with the family of Lacy; they just condemned a man to death, what a glorious time to celebrate, break out the hats and noisemakers; we are heroes.
Since then they freed Robert Blake; who very clearly killed his wife;
Archie Bunker said it twenty years ago;"California; the land of fruits and nuts."

Re: Peterson is toast [message #56157 is a reply to message #56155] Sat, 19 March 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
I think there are two issues here.

1) Did Peterson kill his wife and child?
2) Does he deserve the death penalty?

I am willing to accept that the case against Peterson was not the strongest case. It is possable that he didn't do it. All the evidence against him WAS circumstancial. However, if it looks like a fish, smells like a fish then it is most likely a fish!

I don't think the arguement is about whether he deserves the death penalty or not. It is about should he have been convicted or not. Once convicted, I don't think there is any other punishment that fits, in light of the horrific nature of the murders. Any other sentence would have devalued the those two lives.

Now saying that, I can say that only Scott Peterson and Almighty God know for sure who killed Lacey and the baby. If Scott is indeed innocent of these two murders, I pray that new evidence comes to light through the appeal process.

As for Robert Blake, well that's another arguement altogether.

Re: Peterson is toast [message #56161 is a reply to message #56157] Sun, 20 March 2005 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats the fair argument regarding the death penalty, and my only caveat is this; that is why judges have discretionary sentencing power. I guess my real problem with the trial is the sneaky way the jury dismissed that young guy; the woman who was obviously searching for some angle to hang an acquittal on and the last guy; who was the foreman. He was both MD and JD and as such probably knew more of the law than the others. They gave the impression; bourne out by testimony from the three jurors ejected, that they bullied and strongarmed the rest into the verdict they chose. I would ordinarily dismiss this as a personality conflict if not for the obvious glee with which they offered their post trial feelings about the case.

I am in favor of the death penalty but I also respect the rule of law and this smelled too much like a lynch mob to me. None of the post trial interviews focused on the facts of the case; all were predicated on Petersen's lack of affect and remorse. If the jurors had at least offered some real rational and factual basis for their descision I would respect the privacy and difficulty of serving under this onus.
But after the fifth statement to the effect that he is going to burn it became somewhat sickening to hear.

Due to the nature of this somewhat irregular jury behaviour and the lack of clear evidence, I feel the judge was unduly harsh.
But your point is well taken and most accurate.

Re: Peterson is toast [message #56169 is a reply to message #56161] Tue, 22 March 2005 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
One would hope that the occasion of sentencing an other to death would be gretted with a somber mood. Agreed!

The jury's obvious zeal to avenge Lacie's and Connor's deaths was sobering to say the least.

It just goes back to the point that in an imperfect world, the right thing is often done for the wrong reasons; and the wrong thing is done for the right reasons.

The "pack the picnic basket Martha, we're goin to a hangin" attitude with which the Peterson verdict was annouced should serve as a warning to us all. The darkness which caused Scott to see murder as an acceptable altenative to a marriage and family he did not want, live with each and every one of us. "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God!"

Re: Peterson is toast [message #56170 is a reply to message #56169] Wed, 23 March 2005 20:13 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Amen Brother!

Previous Topic: CAN IT BE TRUE!??!?!?!?
Next Topic: Terri Schiavo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 11:13:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio