Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » interseting little story
interseting little story [message #56013] Mon, 29 November 2004 18:47 Go to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Some time you just have to shake your head and wonder

Re: interseting little story [message #56014 is a reply to message #56013] Tue, 30 November 2004 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eric barbour is currently offline  eric barbour
Esquire
I heard about this some years ago, the auction was in 1996.

jesus.

That must have been the largest Stutz collection in private hands in the world. All rusting in a rundown barn. And I bet most of the money went to the IRS. Guys like that usually die and leave massive unpaid tax and other bills.

Such insanity is not as unusual as you might think, either, sad to say. This reminds me of a story I read about long ago.

There was a guy in Phoenix named Arkie Schueter (sp?). He ran the only auto-parts store in town that was open 24 hours. Got lots of trucker business. Everyone in the neighborhood thought he was just another crazy old man who was always poor and ranting about the evils of government and taxes (Phoenix is crawling with people like this).

Arkie died of a heart attack while being cross-examined during a civil trial [in 1986 I think, he was being sued by an ex-employee for unpaid overtime or something]. No relatives or will, so the sheriff went onto Arkie's property to look for assets to sell to cover the tax and legal bills.

They found something like $750,000 in small bills hidden all over the lot. A drum of waste oil that sat right next to the street contained $400,000 in cash, carefully double wrapped in plastic bags. What a clever place to hide money--who in his right mind would hide valuables in a drum of waste oil...the neighborhood was mostly poor and black, and NOBODY had any idea what was in the drum.

Arkie didn't trust banks, and hated taxes. (Guess who got the cash.)

This is why you SPEND IT before you die!....

Re: interseting little story [message #56015 is a reply to message #56014] Tue, 30 November 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
No; you get old and sick and medicare takes it.

Re: interseting little story [message #56016 is a reply to message #56015] Tue, 30 November 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's the coolest story!

All except the IRS part. Isn't it illegal to screw a dead guy? I guess the IRS has prosecutorial immunity. That kind of reminds me of Sam Kinison's homosexual necrophiliac routine.

Re: interesting little story [message #56020 is a reply to message #56016] Wed, 01 December 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GraemeG is currently offline  GraemeG
Baron
The IRS aren't the only ones to practise that...
http://www.juliusmedia.com/cxweb/article.asp?ID=465

Re: interesting little story [message #56022 is a reply to message #56020] Wed, 01 December 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Ah, yes, the lawyers too.

Re: interesting little story [message #56025 is a reply to message #56022] Thu, 02 December 2004 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Reminds me of a news story I read several years ago.

A elderly woman in NYC would be seen by her neighbors only about once or twice a week, usually when walking down to the market for groceries. She always had on the same clothes every time, an old, worn, black dress. She lived alone and never spoke to anyone. After her neighbors didn't see or hear her for awhile, they contacted the building manager. The lady had died in her apartment, apparently of natural causes. When the police searched it, they found over a million dollars in cash stashed in various locations!

After investigating her identity, it was found out that she was the widow of a very wealthy businessman. Her husband had been dead for many years. Though a millionaire, she had lived in poverty in a dank, dirty, roach infested apartment. She had very few clothes and very spartan furnishings. The couple was childless, and after no claims were made in response to the posting of public notices, all the dough went to the state of NY.

Thermionic

Re: interesting little story [message #56027 is a reply to message #56025] Fri, 03 December 2004 16:56 Go to previous message
Steve is currently offline  Steve
Viscount
Reminds me of a late Secretary of State of Illinois. Back in the 60s, there were rumours that Paul P. was on the take, but nothing was ever proved. Well, he finally died.

When they went in to his house, there was $3 million in shoe boxes. What else could he do with the cash.

Take care.
Steve

Previous Topic: I ate a turkey today!
Next Topic: Enlightening article on Wal Mart
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 16:53:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers