Home » xyzzy » Tower » Any openminded opinions regarding where the economy is going?
Any openminded opinions regarding where the economy is going? [message #55517] Sat, 26 August 2006 09:55 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Lets see what we have; Jobless rate hovering in the high 5's; interest rates steady for now until the November elections. The doller is the real issue now.
Allow me to cut and paste an interesting paragraph here:
" World trade is now an interesting game in which the U.S. produces dollars and the rest of the world produces things that dollars can buy. Thye worlds inter-linked economies no longer trade to capture an economic advantage; they compete in exports to capture needed dollars to service dollar denominated foriegn debts and tom accumulate dollar reserves to sustain the exchange value of domestic currencies. To prevent speculative attacks on their currencies; the worlds central banks must acquire and hold dollar amounts equal to their currencies in circulation. This creates a built-in support for a strong dollar that in turn forces the worlds central banks to acquire and hold even more dollars in reserve. This phenomenon is known as ' dollar hegemony', which is created by the geopolitically constructed peculiarity that critical commodities, most notably oil are denominated in dollars. Everyone accepts dollars because dollars can buy oil. The re-cycling of petro-dollars is the price the U.S. has extracted from oil producing countries for continuing U.S. tolerance of the oil exporting cartel since 1973."

Henry C.K. Lui

Something to think about since the Iraqi's had filed to convert their oil revenue to Euro-dollars shortly before the war began.

Re: settle for closed minded? [message #55518 is a reply to message #55517] Mon, 28 August 2006 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

What I feel is that, despite in what direction this conversation gets sun into...
I dont have as much buying power as I used to. I think the higher cost of the energy we use is the largest factor.

It's all about me, pal [message #55519 is a reply to message #55518] Tue, 29 August 2006 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
And here we have the distinction of payng about 20% more than the rest of the country for everything except gas.

When they have signs outside of every Burger King that they pay $10 and hour and $500 per month bonuses you have to figure that the days of the 19-cent hamburger are numbered.

Re: It's all about me, pal [message #55520 is a reply to message #55519] Tue, 29 August 2006 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I remmember the 12c hamburger at Wetsons. The White Castle belly-bomber was a nickel.
But then I used to go out with 5$ in my pocket. 4 gals of gas= 1.00$ Tequila nights shots were 25c so figure 8 shots and 4 beers in the evening was 3$ and they bought back 4 which left a 1.00$ tip. Then an omelete and coffee at the diner and watch the sunrise before you went to work so that was the 5$. Then I borrowed a dollar for lunch next day.
Those were the days; I think?
Amazing I knew someone then who would actually lend me a dollar.

Re: It's all about me, pal [message #55521 is a reply to message #55520] Tue, 29 August 2006 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

So what can we do?
Who can the public vote for to hold down inflation. Democrats like tax and spend, Republicans like spend.(haha)
We earn 4 times as much money than years ago but stuff cost 5 times as much. We have a great number of fast food joints constantly looking for people to work. In this area minimum wage is laghable.

Re: It's all about me, pal [message #55522 is a reply to message #55521] Tue, 29 August 2006 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The only thing we can do is remain awake and keep vigilant. No one person can help anything but you got to try and stay focused on the priorities and reign in the extremist wackos. What I do is try and think what makes sense and who benefits. If they clear-cut a forest then a couple dozen guys make great money for a year and the lumber company gets wealthy; but then the people lose a forest. So we use legislation to force them to re-forestation plans and selective cutting. Thats the war and we try to strike a balance.
Use your vote to promote the best policy and minimise the problems people can cause when they vote people into office based on faulty or non-issue platforms.
We all knew the Iraqi WMD's were BS; how did that happen? We let down our guard. Now we have a huge mortgage on our future.

Really? Honestly? [message #55523 is a reply to message #55521] Wed, 30 August 2006 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
We can go to the polls, especially for local and primary elections, and refuse to vote for one of the can't-tell-the-difference sons o'bitches with a D or an R after his/her name. Vote Green, Independent or Crazy As Roger Fucking Rabbit but don't vote the incumbent or his hand picked look-alike successor.

In politics today there are two inviolate truths - every national politician is a corporate shill, and neither the two retards in the Executive or any of the 535 thieves and cowards down the street have the balls to go against their benefactors and do anything that would actually benefit the public (unless it just happens to coincide with corporate interests or ensure another vote come election time, but it's pure serendipity that the representatives address the concerns of the electorate).

It's the old story, if you keep doing the same thing hoping for a different outcome, you're clearly insane. We vote for another wind-up doll that looks exactly like the wind-up doll he's replacing and then we're dissapointed when he's the exact same self-interested sellout as his predecessor.

Re: Really? Honestly? [message #55524 is a reply to message #55523] Wed, 30 August 2006 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Being a full-time cynic is a lot of work: I know becuase I am one also. But lets look at it this way; some good things have been accomplished; will you give me that?
Whatever occured to make that happen; well thats what we need to focus on.

Re: Really? Honestly? [message #55525 is a reply to message #55524] Wed, 30 August 2006 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

I'd say some good things come up now and then. Certainly some people must be please or every incumbent would be out ousted at every single election. So, clearly the majority is either happy or clueless.

Honestly I rarely cast votes for incumbents. It's nice to see some new faces that have an idea.

Re: Really? Honestly? [message #55526 is a reply to message #55525] Wed, 30 August 2006 18:40 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; Bill Clinton came from out of nowhere and did a pretty good job. Things were better then thats for sure.

Previous Topic: JonBenét Ramsey
Next Topic: So They Have Rummy Playing The Hitler Card
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 17:37:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout