Home » xyzzy » Tower » HEY, WAYNE !
HEY, WAYNE ! [message #55461] Wed, 16 August 2006 01:55 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I was wondering if you might consult on an engine-and-instrument-related question, since you're quite an expert at both.

I'm converting a one-lung 4-stroke portable generator from gasoline to natural gas. One thing I need to do is to lean it out to get max rpm under load, so I need a tach.

What I'm thinking is that I can wrap a piece of wire around the spark plug lead to get an inductive pulse. I can clip my frequency reading DVM to that lead and ground the DVM to the engine someplace. Then I can read RPM directly. Even if it's a two-spark per rev engine (which I don't know) it really won't matter, it's just that my reading won't be true RPM but it won't affect my finding a maxima.

Any thoughts? Am I missing the boat completely? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Charlie

Re: HEY, WAYNE ! [message #55463 is a reply to message #55461] Wed, 16 August 2006 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could use a pickup like that, you betcha. Connect it to a pulse counter and you're set. You might use a timing light with an inductive pickup. Some even have built-in tachometers.

Don't use a DVM though. The signal you're reading is a pulse train, and so the DVM will not read it like you want. It won't show the rate of pulses. It will just show the DC level, and maybe bounce a bit occasionally when it happens to sample at the time a pulse flies by.

Re: THANKS, WAYNE ! [message #55473 is a reply to message #55463] Thu, 17 August 2006 04:09 Go to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
That's perfect.

You're the best!

Charlie

Previous Topic: When Sekito was asked....
Next Topic: Dixie Chicks Censored In Houston
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:25:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout