Home » xyzzy » Tower » Man of God
Man of God [message #55441] Sun, 13 August 2006 05:06 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Linda and I were at McGonigel's Mucky Duck Pub in Houston Friday nite to hear Eliza Gilkyson, a little known singer/songwriter whose simple folksy/country style we like. Eliza has a new CD out "Paradise Road", and one song in particular helps me to understand what a "Man of God" our president really is. I'm glad somebody is commemorating his righteous leadership in song.

Re: Man of God [message #55442 is a reply to message #55441] Sun, 13 August 2006 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
We always hear that music can`t change the world, and it`s only just a shallow entertainment, the sound "scenery" of Potemkin village, the part of the industry.
Probably today it`s not that far from the truth...but when we remember `60s and `70s music and their influence...
Anyway, like to hear that someone sings of important and real, emotional things that matters something...

"God save the queen
The fascist regime
They made you a moron
Potential H-bomb..."

Why do you hate America? [message #55443 is a reply to message #55441] Sun, 13 August 2006 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

BTW, if you're a fan of cringe humor Jim Norton is appearing at the Houston Improv 8/17 to 8/19 (Katy Freeway just west of 610 I think).

Re: Well Fred She should Thank You Because You Sold At Least One CD For her with this post. [message #55445 is a reply to message #55442] Sun, 13 August 2006 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Nice voice.

Re: Well Fred She should Thank You Because You Sold At Least One CD For her with this post. [message #55452 is a reply to message #55445] Sun, 13 August 2006 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, she has a nice smokey voice, she sings in the tradition of some 60's folk singers, and the accompaniment to most of her concert was acoustic, which I espeically liked. She is, of course, highly irreverent, which some find offensive. One thing I especially like about those talented individuals and groups who never made it big is that you can hear them in small club venues where you are sitting ten feet from the stage. Next week we're going back to the Mucky Duck to hear another favorite Texas singer/songwriter, Shake Russell.

Re: Well Fred She should Thank You Because You Sold At Least One CD For her with this post. [message #55454 is a reply to message #55452] Sun, 13 August 2006 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hey; nice recomendations. I ask that you keep 'em coming. I am ordering both CD's; we really have to support good music that people our age can listen to without wanting to poke toothpicks in our eardrums.
Thanks.
We used to have a place called My Fathers Place; the roster of acts reads like a who's who of music. Then they made it assigned seating and advanced ticket sales. Ruined another good thing.
Now they are gone.
Is Austin City Limits a good venue?

Re: Well Fred She should Thank You Because You Sold At Least One CD For her with this post. [message #55456 is a reply to message #55454] Sun, 13 August 2006 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
One disappointing thing I noticed about Eliza Gilkyson's latest CD, Paradise Hotel, versus the other one I own, Lost and Found, is that Paradise Hotel is recorded at a much higher level. I always find I prefer uncompressed music recorded at a lower level to all the others stuff that's compressed into the top 5dB capacitity of a CD so it will sound loud on a car radio. I prefer the music on Lost and Found as well as the recording technique.

I'm not familiar with Austin City Limits. Living in Houston about the only time I hear music in Austin is when my sons' band plays in a 6th street venue. (6th street is where the small live music venues are in Austin). The bands you hear on 6th street typically have lots of creativity and peforming talent, but will never make the big time because they refust to write and perform formulaic music.

Re: Well Fred She should Thank You Because You Sold At Least One CD For her with this post. [message #55457 is a reply to message #55456] Sun, 13 August 2006 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You have a point. I bought the Dixie Chicks album in order to show solidarity. Well; the thing is so compressed and processed it is unlistenable. Some say this is due to MP3 listeners and their medium dictating how the music should be recorded. All I can say is if that is true then we are doomed.
I will say that I would rather hear an old AM radio recording than those highly processed tracks.

Make that two... [message #55458 is a reply to message #55445] Sun, 13 August 2006 19:07 Go to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A less-produced Mary Chapin Carpenter, sort of. Liked it enough to buy anyway.

Previous Topic: Wal-Mart Abandons Germany
Next Topic: Religion under discussion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 03:53:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout