Home » Audio » Movies & Music » About Schmidt
About Schmidt [message #5529] Sat, 27 November 2004 09:39 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Anyone see or have an opinion about this Jack Nicholson movie? I saw it; wrote it off but it is staying with me and upon watching it again I find it deeper than I originally thought. I cannot figure out if I am making more of it or if it is truely a good work. It appears to operate as a morality play; but maybe I am wrong. Strangely haunting.

Recent Nicholson films [message #5531 is a reply to message #5529] Sun, 28 November 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I keep meaning to watch "About Schmidt" too. I haven't because I understand it's pretty much an introspective film and kind of slow going. Seems like my tastes are kind of seasonal, and I'm not in the mood for it right now. But one of these times, I'll check it out for sure.

I'll tell you a relatively recent Nicholson film I liked. "As Good As It Gets" is a movie where Nicholson plays a rather cynical curmudgeon with a bit of heart that he desperately tries to keep hidden under wraps. But it shows anyway, just through the cracks, just enough that you can tell. It's a part that I think was made for Nicholson.

Another recent film that I thought was worth seeing was "Something's Gotta Give." Another made-for-Nicholson film, in this one, he's an aging Playboy that's always gone for younger women. When he meets the mother of his latest girlfriend (Diane Keaton), everything changes.

Re: Recent Nicholson films [message #5532 is a reply to message #5531] Sun, 28 November 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes as good as it gets was vintage Nicholson. Somethings Got To Give I liked except for the obvious overacting in some of Dianne's scenes, where she kept crying endlessly. I thought Jack took a film designed to pay homage to all those Mike Nichols; Howard Hawks type screwball love stories and offered his own unique perspective. The repartee' between the two stars captured the fun and wit of those older comedies and that wit is what I feel is missing in many of todays films. Regardless of how sophisticated our teenagers become, they are not adults and do not think like adults. It is refreshing to hear adult dialogue in a current film.

Re: Recent Nicholson films [message #5533 is a reply to message #5532] Sun, 28 November 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Boy did you nail that. Exactly.

Re: Recent Nicholson films [message #5535 is a reply to message #5533] Sun, 28 November 2004 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Don't know the About Schmidt film, but for dialog that shows
maturity, I'd point to any one od the films or plays by
David Mamet: Glen Gary Glennross being the most well-known example.

I have not cared much about seeing any Nicholson films per se
since the first Batman. Or any Robt DeNiro films at all. I made an _extreme_ exception for Wag The Dog... see Mamet above.

Re: Recent Nicholson films [message #5536 is a reply to message #5535] Sun, 28 November 2004 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'll agree on Glengarry Glenross; I am a big Mamet fan. But that movie was elevated by the performances of the masters; Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino, Alan Arkin. I mean they could make Spongebob sound good. House Of Games is my fave Mamet and State and Main runs second.
I don't understand the Deniro thing; you don't think he can act? Lots of good actors are playing parodies of themselves lately; there just isn't any scripts out there directed at actors. I was told due to the need for films to be easily translated for the international market there will be fewer films with decent dialogue and plot twists and devices.

Re: Recent Nicholson films [message #5537 is a reply to message #5536] Sun, 28 November 2004 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Those are goods ones, but don't forget "Oleanna"... a play made
into a film and all done by Mamet. Oleanna is the closest
thing done to a stage play as a dialog that I've seen in a
long time. Also not to forget "A Life In The Theatre" w/Jack
Lemmon and Matthew Broderick. I managed to see that as a stage
play and film both.

Go you Huskies.

But I don't think American films have to be dumbed down
for European audiences, though I know that's not what you
are saying. Look at "Amelie" for example. And I just viewed
"Monsoon Wedding" last night. It's a shame that rental
places feat the loss of vaulable shelf space for additional
copies of Scooby Doo to stock more foreign films of good
quality.

Which remionds me: anybody see "Hero" with Jett Li?

Re: Yes, but........ [message #5542 is a reply to message #5532] Tue, 30 November 2004 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
....somethings gotta give is just too self-indulgent. Nicholson caricature of Nicholson caricaturing Nicholson. And as I wrote once before, he and Keaton exhibited so many unconscious mannerisms during their clever dialogues(not directed, we've seen all these moves since Annie Hall and Amityville) thet they looked like a Third Base Coach and a rookie baserunner who can't get together on the signs!
And I loved As Good As it Gets. THAT was a mature Nicholson ACTING and a well written screenplay with a great back story.
About Schmidt, without the 'whizzing scene' is really quite good. "Dear Ndugo"! Kind of a third person look at fatgher-daughter relationships in particular and in-laws in general.
Kathy Bates is, as usual, terriffic.And let's not forget Howard Hesseman. What a great character actor. When will they ever release Doctor Detroit on DVD so we can watch "Smooth" Walker and Karen Blittstein (Fran Drescher) in full digital?

Re: Yes, but........ [message #5544 is a reply to message #5542] Wed, 01 December 2004 06:58 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes well Somethings Got to Give was sophomoric and contrived. As Good As it Gets was a perfectly cast film that became greater than the sum of it's parts. But Jack playing a neurotic curmudgeonly crank; not that much of a stretch.
Schmidt I believe; will be recognised as one of his best in the future. "Dear Ndgu", funny how this guy who just lost his wife, retired and his daughter is marrying a slub he cannot stand; finds a way to communicate his thoughts to himself by writing letters to some person he has never met and knows nothing about. The kid lives in Africa; a place so far and so different from Kansas he might as well be on the moon. He has an RV and takes a trip through his past; The Quest. The scene on top of the RV with those little totem figures and the shooting star? Lots and lots of stuff that lingers in that film.
Metaphor for alienation and disaffection of modern life maybe? Done masterfully.

Previous Topic: "Gettysburg"
Next Topic: Bad Santa
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 18 16:27:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout