Home » xyzzy » Tower » The Rules
Re: Definition of Audiophile [message #55114 is a reply to message #55113] Sat, 18 March 2006 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats a good point; you can certainly like to build and spend that interest building speakers and amps and stuff. Then use that to listen to music and enjoy it. And seperating out who qualifies to have an opinion based upon their life experience and technical training is a whole nother issue. Examing the past we see in the seventies the engineers took over from the designers of the 50's and sixties. So we got Sansui 9090 instead of Fisher 50a's for amps. So we know that technical training deosn't neccessarily translate into capable musical design. Perfect sound forever.

But I think Broskie was very specifically addressing an audience of people who are trying to get the best music they can from equipment; and he calls them audiophiles. And he wonders at the motivation of someone to sink 30k$ into stuff that plays music when he doesn't own any or appreciate it when he does. It's a sense of puzzled confusion.

If that is the case; I would say that in the participation of the hobby; music should by definition take center stage. How will you know whats good without knowing the music? That thinking leads to where you get statements like only ABX testing can tell if something sounds good or not. His thesis reminds me of the guy who plays golf but only likes to drive and can't putt worth a damn. Yet he owns a set of custom Pings because he likes the feel. Does that guy really know the game?

Broskie link [message #55115 is a reply to message #55114] Sat, 18 March 2006 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
John, Could you please point me to Broskie's article you reference?

Re: Definition of Audiophile [message #55116 is a reply to message #55114] Sat, 18 March 2006 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Colin is right in that there should be some kind of experience involved in a persons background. I agree with that but the closest I can see is acoustical or electrical engineer, musical degree etc. It's almost like the people you use to judge the music are as subjective as the music and the system itself?

I didn't think I ever questioned Brodski's point. More and more we people who have things because they 'want' them. Not because they use the expensive motorcycle or need the expensive clubs. They just want them and enjoy having them. People have hobbies and collect things. Some people collect old things, antiques and classics. some folks collect new things. Some times you use them and other times just look or know its there.

Does that mean your an expert in what ever prize you have? doubtful, right. Maybes there's a few that parade around as an expert or try to sell a service under such pretense. By and large there's a lot chatter and free advise. We know what free advice is worth!

Re: Broskie link [message #55117 is a reply to message #55115] Sat, 18 March 2006 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It's in the TubeCad Journal. I found it just by looking at the first link that comes up on the site then while reading it shows up somewhere around the third or fourth paragraph. It isn't much; just a couple sentences. I can find it if you don't see it.

Re: Definition of Audiophile [message #55118 is a reply to message #55116] Sat, 18 March 2006 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; we can't argue with that. If you like owning stuff for the pleasure of owning it then thats about the size of it. But just remmember these are not collectors or art aesthete's; they are guys who claim to be audiophiles buying new equipment for the expressed purpose of listening to music.
I don't see this as a criticism of what people like to own or buy; just a look at what one who participates in audio should be concerned with if they like to participate in discussions and critical opinion essays.
I mean we wouldn't argue whether one speaker is the nicest to own and look at; right? We would discuss how it sounds and the rest of the effects of ownership such as how nice it looks and how much we like to own it would probably take a lesser position in the discussion; ...I think.
How about thhis; if you own something simply for the pleasure of knowing you own it; then it becomes art. If you own it for the purpose of using it in the capacity for which it is designed; then it becomes equipment. Does that fly?

Hmmm; how about this one; would you go to a motorcycle show to look at stock bikes that your neighbors ride around; or would you go to see custom and personalised machines of interest?
So to own a bike and put it in your garage just so you could say you own it; and you don't customise,race or ride it or have it as an investment; you would think the guy was a little off; right?

Give me some time and I can come up with some more wacky analogies.
It's like saying why do I have that old crappy Schwinn still in the shed with the streamers hanging off the handlebars; for the pleasure of owning it of course! Thats why my wife tried to burn down the shed; because of my,"collection".

Re: Definition of Audiophile [message #55119 is a reply to message #55118] Sat, 18 March 2006 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)
yep your right. you cant just buy a bunch a expensive high fi gear and become an audiophile overnight. So, but, how do you start? It's a paradox. lots of possibilities

Re: Definition of Audiophile [message #55120 is a reply to message #55119] Sat, 18 March 2006 14:55 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Of course then we bite our tails and ask"What is an Audiophile??"
He who knows does not speak; he who speaks does not know.
I got that in a fortune cookie. Or my back episodes of "Kung FU" with David Carradine as the FU.

Which reminds me; Chinese tonight. Moo Goo Gai Pan and General tso's.

Previous Topic: So in the future; will Dubai be the Democrats fault?
Next Topic: Sopranos' spoilers.....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 15:06:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout