Home » xyzzy » Tower » Some Things Never Change . . .
Some Things Never Change . . . [message #55000] Mon, 30 January 2006 13:59 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
Inspired by Leland's mention of John Adams in the last thread, I started David McCullough's Adams biography last night. As a lifelong New Yorker, I was amused to run across the following in the opening pages.

Adams first visited New York City in 1774 on his way to attend the first Continental Congress in Philadelphia. According to his diary, he found New Yorkers somewhat verbally agressive:

"They talk very loud, very fast, and altogether. If they ask you a question, before you can utter three words of your answer, they will break out upon you again -- and talk away."

I guess some things never change.

One other utterly trivial but highly amusing anecdote. In September 1776, Adams found himself sharing a bed in a small room at an inn with Benjamin Franklin. Before retiring, Adams closed the window. Franklin opened it. Adams protested, citing his fears about the unhealthiness of night air. Franklin believed that night air was healthy and that it was the corruption of the air from perspiration and "animal substances" in enclosed rooms that caused illness. Franklin prevailed:

"So the two eminent bedfellows lay side-by-side in the dark, the window open, Franklin expounding, as Adams remembered, 'upon air and cold and respiration and perspiration, with which I was so much amused that I soon fell to sleep.'"

The book is excellent, by the way. Don't hesitate if you're interested.

Re: Some Things Never Change . . . [message #55002 is a reply to message #55000] Mon, 30 January 2006 16:02 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So what of his philosophy can we utilise today to help bail us out of this mess?

Previous Topic: Bush Hates Elections
Next Topic: Judge Alito
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 16:26:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout