Home » xyzzy » Tower » Ah,,, what a night
Ah,,, what a night [message #54567] Fri, 07 October 2005 21:06 Go to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

IS summer ending? seemed like a great one this year. Cold dark night, miserable rain and vodka on the rocks. More than likely another good weekend to be had before the snow flies but it sure aint gonna be this one!

I just bought on of those pellet burning stoves so I'm trying to envision how toasty its going to be this winter. Been looking for a few years and since they started talking about natural gas going up so much this year, I figured now is as good a time as any! Store are sold if you can believe. next delivery come in 3 weeks and the man says that might be it for the year.

Re: Ah,,, what a night [message #54572 is a reply to message #54567] Sat, 08 October 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Forgive me this Bill but in reading the syntax on your post sounds like you had two of those vodkas. You missed a few words.
I remmember when the oil prices shot up in the mid-seventies. At the time everyone had 12 and 14% mortgages so they were all strapped. Then the coal stove thing became popular; I had two friends and a brother in law who owned them. It was nice except for the dust and storage and clean-up. I saw one of the stoves out by the curb about two years later.
So what are these pellet stoves; some kind of pressed wood shavings?

Re: Ah,,, what a night [message #54577 is a reply to message #54572] Sat, 08 October 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Pfffft...maybe 3 of those vodkas. Spelling and syntax are not off to a good start from the beginning. I’ve decided to be an English teacher in my next life. Until then you’ll have to toss in a word or two as you see fit.

As for the pellet stove, they have been around for some time now. There are pros and cons. One bad thing about them is they have a lot of parts in them. Like the newer high efficiency furnaces there are more things to go wrong. If you’re looking for total self sufficiency the pellet stoves need electricity unlike wood or coal stoves. If you’re worried about power failure you can get a couple batteries and an inverter to run the thing for a few days on a charge.

I’ve had wood stoves and coal stoves. Unless you have a stand of hardwoods to cut from or another free source of wood, I find it to be an incredible pain in the ass. Way too much storage volume and work to move it about. I like coal a lot. You can keep the dust under control and you can get a winters supply dumped right into your basement if you have the room. 3 ton of coal doesn’t take a lot of room.

So why pellet? Like you said the fuel is made from sawdust and shavings. It's made from wood byproducts that wood normally go to landfills. Some can burn corn, and grass pellets may become possible. The stoves are direct vented through an outside wall. No need to have a chimney which is very expensive if you don’t have on for wood or coal. The stove has a small fan so it circulates air and the clearance around the stove is less for fire hazard. The pellets are 210.00 for a ton and they comes in 40 lb bags. Just dump the bag into the hopper and there is no dust either. Since the pellets are around 5% moisture and the stove is efficient the ash is almost none. The ash from a 40 lb bag is about 1/2 coffee cup. seriously.
The bags pile up anyplace. It's like stacking up 50 bags of dog food in your basement or garage.

I got a Harmon and it has a thermostat and auto light system on it. Turns on and lights the fire, controls how much burn and shuts off or turns way down when it gets warm. Most important there is a place in your house that is warm and toasty, and your not dreaming of dollar signs as the furnace cranks out more heat.

Re: Ah,,, what a night [message #54579 is a reply to message #54577] Sat, 08 October 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
How much heat does a ton provide? In terms of say a monthly basis in the middle of the winter.

Re: Ah,,, what a night [message #54586 is a reply to message #54579] Sat, 08 October 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
you get about 8,700 btu per pound of pellet. (coal and oil are the highest)
For a house in 1600-1900 square foot range that has insulation the story goes about 3 tons for a winter heating season in the north east. If you have a 90+% efficient gas furnace the cost is similar at last years rates.
most pellets stove can be set to burn .75 - 5 lbs an hour. so if your looking to just warm up a room and have a little fire going a hopper load of 50 lbs could burn continuous for nearly 3 days.

Re: Ah,,, what a night [message #54591 is a reply to message #54586] Sat, 08 October 2005 14:36 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good stuff Bill; Thats my other dream..to get off the grid. I don't know if you remmember a audio guy that had a little speaker business called Hammer Dynamics?
You may know it so I won't bore you unless you are interested.

Previous Topic: BTW ManualBlock...
Next Topic: Detainee Treatment Rules
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 08:11:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout