Home » xyzzy » Tower » ICE - In Case of Emergency
ICE - In Case of Emergency [message #54359] Sat, 23 July 2005 13:47 Go to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
I am sharing an email that someone sent me:

Due to the recent bombing in London, there has been a tremendous push to launch the national "In Case of Emergency" (ICE) campaign. As you know, many people were injured in this bombing. Many of those injured were found with their cell phones. First responders used the injured person's cell phone to try and locate a family member that they could notify on the injured persons behalf. However the rescuers found it difficult to locate the appropriate person. Wireless subscribers are now being asked by Public Safety Officials all over the world to store the word "ICE" in their wireless phone address book and put their next of kin's phone number next to it. In the event of an emergency, this person would be contacted quickly by ambulance and hospital staff. It's just that easy! (Source: BBC News)
Please take a moment to program someone that you would like to be contacted in case of an emergency into your cell phone with the word "ICE". Public Safety officials around the world will know what this means.

Re: ICE - In Case of Emergency [message #54362 is a reply to message #54359] Sat, 23 July 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Excellent post. Can I store Scarlett Johansen?
Sorry you are right this is serious.

Re: ICE - In Case of Emergency [message #54363 is a reply to message #54362] Sat, 23 July 2005 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I found two words in original post that I like - to "program someone". Yes, to feel fear - and everything that goes with it. Average person has million percents more chance to be hurt in car accident, in his bathroom, tinkering with high-voltage, etc. then to be blow-up by terrorists.

The kind of emergency is irrelevant [message #54364 is a reply to message #54363] Sat, 23 July 2005 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
sometimes hospitals need to contact responsible parties for permission

in any case, it makes the policework easier

"program someone" - yes, another verbification of a noun, but it has been around for a long time in the computer world

KISS [message #54367 is a reply to message #54359] Thu, 28 July 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The idea of ICE in cell phones was not a direct result of the London bombing. It's been floating around for some time. While the idea of having ICE on your person is a very good idea, it doesn't need to be this complicated. Just simply put a slip of paper in your wallet.

Not everybody carries a cell phone.
Almost all cell phone users lock their phone with a PIN, preventing access.
My cell stops working if I look at it wrong. The odds of it surviving an "incident" that would put me unconscious is next to nil.

Like I said, great idea, but misdirected in execution to be more complicated than it needs to be.

Re: KISS [message #54368 is a reply to message #54367] Thu, 28 July 2005 23:40 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You are so right.

Previous Topic: Pataki
Next Topic: An audio related topic (of all the nerve!)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 07:05:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio