Home » xyzzy » Tower » For people who can get to Chicago this summer
Re: tongue-in-cheek post? [message #54344 is a reply to message #54342] Fri, 08 July 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I understand some medical schools now use von Hagens' specimens for gross anatomy - no more corpse dissection. You can see everything - no imagination required as to how things relate in space/position - it's a complete course in human anatomy.

The exhibit is completely self-paced - wander at will as long as you want to. They do have an audio guide, but it's not very informative - doesn't provide any more infomation than the exhibit placards.

Fortunately people are respectful of the exhibits, but most are completely out in the open - there's no physical barrier between you and the whole body specimens - you could put your hand on any portion of most of them (except that it's prohibited by policy, although they're made to be handled in a med school environment).

For anyone who is interested in human anatomy this is the ultimate experience. Nothing, including corpse dissection, can come close because the spatial relationships are fully preserved.

One other thing [message #54345 is a reply to message #54344] Fri, 08 July 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
There's nothing artificial here except coloration with dyes in some specimens to highlight or differentiate some aspect - this is all the real deal. No models or artist's conceptions.

How they can "extract" the complete circulatory system of a child or an adult head and display it in its original spatial context is beyond my imagination, but they can, right down to the capillaries in the fingertips and ear lobes.

Re: Hey, Wayne [message #54346 is a reply to message #54341] Fri, 08 July 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think I saw a special on the Discovery Channel about that. Seems like one of the donors was a convict. Sliced him up real thin and scanned the sheets. Now he's immortal.

Featured on Good Morning America [message #54347 is a reply to message #54334] Sat, 09 July 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
They showed a feature about that on GMA one day a few months ago. It was totally cool! But, I'm not sure that my stomach could take that.

Thanks for reminding. The Museum of Science and Industry was one of my favorite day-trips when I was growing up in Gary, Indiana. Take the kids. Be sure to take two days and go to the Adler Planetarium, the Museum of Natural History, and the Aquarium, which are clustered not too far from the science museum.

Re: For people who can get to Chicago this summer [message #54409 is a reply to message #54334] Mon, 15 August 2005 10:31 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Looks like it won't happen in Florida.....Colin

Previous Topic: Intelligent design redux
Next Topic: Priory of Sion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:06:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio