Home » xyzzy » Tower » Qucik Tips on Better Photos
Qucik Tips on Better Photos [message #54315] Mon, 27 June 2005 13:11 Go to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I love the fact that a lot of guys on this forum share photos of their projects. Pictures are worth a thousand words, right. So I thought I'd post some simple tips on how to get better indoor shots of your projects for posting:

1) Take the light source off your camera. Direct light source from the camera creates glare, center hot-spots, and general flatness to a picture. If you're using a flash with tilt or swivel, bounce it off the ceiling or walls. If you're using a digital point-n-shoot, switch the flash off and place a light source (a lamp) off the camera. Even better is to have a lamp on one side of the object and a large white card on the other.

2) Use a tripod or rest your camera on a support. Once you switch the flash off and use a lamp or existing lighting, your camera will go to slow shutter mode (unless you're working with 500W studio lamps). Hand-hold the camera and you'll get blurry shots. Use a tripod, or rest it on a support and it'll sharpen right up.

3) Manually set your white-balance. The auto white-balance on most point-n-shoot are pretty good, but are still prone to error. If you're shooting with indoor lighting, manually set the white balance to Tungsten. Photos with an orange colour-cast are a result of shooting with indoor lighting while your camera still thinks it's outdoors.

4) Use the Macro function if you're closer than one (or even two) feet from the object. Most point-n-shoot can't focus under a foot under normal focus mode. Switch on Macro and you're good down to 6 inches. Always use Macro when shooting small objects.

gar.

Re: Qucik Tips on Better Photos [message #54316 is a reply to message #54315] Mon, 27 June 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Fred T does good photos. Ask him how he does his. Just please take pictures under the hood; it gets redundant staring at amps. At least with some circuit photo's you might learn something. Problem is just by doing a short and simple search on the net you can get to see pictures of pretty much every possible iteration of equipment known to man.
I like helpfull text posts myself. Too many photo's and it looks like a gallery; which really is where the pics should go, like on other foruums. When every post is a pic you have to wade through endless posts to get to information you can use.
Unless everyone likes to look at pics instead; then the problem is solved. If you want info you just have to look elsewhere.

Around here the quickest way to clear everyone out of a party is to bring out the pics. Just say you have some nice vacation photos and watch the concept of quantum theory in action; thats how fast they run. Except for the unawares guy coming out of the bathroom who gets collared and has to be the bobblehead doll for an hour.
Many use that strategy when guests stay too late.

Re: Qucik Tips on Better Photos [message #54317 is a reply to message #54315] Mon, 27 June 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good tips, Gar, thanks!

I'm the world's worst at grabbing the digital camera we bought in the 1990's that needs to be replaced and just snapping a shot. That's OK for stuff a few feet away but every time I click a pic of a circuit board or something close up, I think how I need to go out and get a new camera...

I got your photos [message #54319 is a reply to message #54316] Mon, 27 June 2005 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Well I was going to share some pictures with you of my last trip to Hedonism 3 in Jamaica. Did I mention Playboy had about half the resort rented and were doing a number of photoshoots? Oh, and about one-quater of the resort was booked by a couple of European fetish mags. But, I'm sure noooooo one around here would be interested.....Colin

Re: I got your photos [message #54322 is a reply to message #54319] Tue, 28 June 2005 07:29 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I'll e-mail you on the side.

Previous Topic: P2P supremes rule
Next Topic: Eminent Domain/Democracy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 00:09:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio