Home » xyzzy » Tower » ABX
Re: Here's another thought [message #54288 is a reply to message #54287] Wed, 11 May 2005 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI John,
I heard Bob Brines' lt2000 lowther system based on MArtin's work.
It sounded very good, but in my opinion will work best as a widerange, not a full range. It will need help below about 80 Hz, and above about 4,000 Hz to sound really good.
It's really hard to get a full range that will sound good on every kind of music. Try it out and tell us what you think.
If all you listen to are small musical arrangements & vocals, then a full range makes much more sense than if you lsiten to large orchestras, rock, etc.
Again, that's just my opinion.
-akhilesh

Re: Here's another thought [message #54289 is a reply to message #54288] Thu, 12 May 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats what I thought. Thanks.

Holt? [message #54292 is a reply to message #54272] Thu, 19 May 2005 14:34 Go to previous message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
I am not sure if it was the same thing, but there was a Stereophile (I think) article "about twenty years ago" describing a double-blind test that was put on at some audio show or convention. (It may have been Atkinson, not Holt.)

About 50 people participated. There were five tests. Two got all of them right. One of them was the author of the article, who was now convinced forever that he had a golden ear. The asshole did not ever stop to realize that pure chance would have made about two people get everything right. I am sure that for the rest of his life he has felt that he had license to pontificate on all topics because he had a golden ear.

That was one of the reasons that I quit subscribing to Stereophile, and have not taken it up for even just $10 per year.

I wonder if we are talking about the same thing. (No offense, but I doubt that Holt could score 19/20 when everyone else failed.)

Previous Topic: Britain Piano Man
Next Topic: Now Even SBC Is Doing It!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 03:04:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout