Home » xyzzy » Tower » ABX
ABX [message #54266] Mon, 09 May 2005 10:53 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I need an honest answer. ABX testing is a methodology that is constantly disputed by the different experts in the field of psychoaucoustics. Just one hit on Google brings up dozens of current research papers from respectable science departments of known universities. At what point does the concept that this is an evolving discipline and will experience revisions of the data and conclusions the same way every other science tool does become important to the discussion?
I may be wrong here but it seems that the proponents of the ABX tests as they are currently performed considor the results they obtain to be absolute and incontrovertible. Is that possible in any science?
Is this a dumb question?
I mean every day they discover aspects of the brain that completley refutes long held beliefs. Look at the phenomenon of phanthom pain; can a science explain that?
I know the cursorary explanation; a matrix of synapses that retain a memory of the missing limb and then creates situational responses to something that no longer exists? But the real explanation has not been discovered. In this they are clueless.
Thanks; J.R.

Re: ABX [message #54267 is a reply to message #54266] Mon, 09 May 2005 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Double-blind testing is definitely a good way to get the least psychological bias from people. Blind tests using placebos and test groups are used in the medical field to remove psychological bias. To me, this kind of a testing is a no brainer.

But what is also a no brainer is that this is an entertainment industry and that the equipment tested is purchased just as much for its aesthetic value as for its performance. People buy what they like, and sound quality is obviously important but so is looks. I guess that doesn't really address the psychology of the test and whether there is validity in it or not. Still, it just doesn't matter to me. If you want an unbiased answer, do a blind test. To me, the people that argue about this are wasting their time.

Re: ABX [message #54268 is a reply to message #54267] Mon, 09 May 2005 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks for the reply Wayne; I understand this is just not something you have an interest in and I respect that.

Re: ABX [message #54269 is a reply to message #54268] Mon, 09 May 2005 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm interested in the results of studies, but not the bickering about whether blind testing is effective or not. To me, it's like arguing the color of the sky. One camp insists it's blue and the other insists it's black. Both know that one is talking about night and the other about day, but they seem to like arguing so much, they prefer to continue the "fight" ad nauseum anyway.

Re: ABX [message #54270 is a reply to message #54269] Mon, 09 May 2005 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
It's redundant; thats for sure. I geuss I have that terrier mentality; I can't let stuff go. Always been a personality failure on my part.
I just can't get my head around this as an unsoluble problem; the chicken or the egg.
Like when you were a kid and tried to imagine the concept of infinity argueing with your friends.
I think it's the thought that something so subjective like music can be reduced and quantisized to a stream of data.
It's like when animal research tries to dictate that there can be no anthropomorphizing of the subject,that it is projection to ascribe emotional components to animal behaviour.
I disagree.

Re: ABX [message #54271 is a reply to message #54270] Mon, 09 May 2005 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
In my local hifi forum[commercial equipment not DIY] they have an ABX forum where no one posts!

Being a student with debt, why spend more If it isnt better.

Re:absolute and incontrovertible [message #54272 is a reply to message #54266] Mon, 09 May 2005 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Is that really the claim?

I think the best argument for the validity of ABX is a test done some 20+ years ago (I remember the article but unfortunately don't have the reference).

A bunch of golden ears participated in an amplifier comparison and, no surprise, null results. They couldn't distinguish their ass from their elbows, with one exception.

The exception was J Gordon Holt - he hit like 19 out of 20 or something reasonably similar. That told me something - that a guy who was never accused of being full of shit as far as I know showed he could walk the walk, unlike his contemporaries who just talk the talk.

Now he's a crafty old bastard, and he may have found a reflection in a window someplace that allowed him to see the signal input lights on the amp front plates or something like that. But assuming it was on the up-and-up I would claim that it's a clear demonstration that ABX does not obsecure the details as claimed by its detractors - you just have to be as good as you claim to be when somebody is watching (as opposed to all the crazy claims they make in reviews of stuff they hear when nobody is watching).

Re: ABX [message #54273 is a reply to message #54271] Tue, 10 May 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've seen people really get up in arms on this topic, and it always leaves me stunned. I mean, why bother? To me, certain things can be quantified, and others can't. I can measure resistance, capacitance, power, response, distortion, etc... It's a little harder to quantify beauty, although we've all seen some "10's", know what I mean?

The double blind test is a way to put a reasonably objective metric on a subjective human evaluation. It is a way to ask things about percieved quality without exposing any details that might affect the outcome of the test. The idea is so obviously simple, I don't see anyone objecting to it. Maybe some of the mechanics of the test procedure can be flawed, like the switching device or whatever. But the basic concept of blind testing is good. The information it provides is useful.

Then again, if a person chooses a product because he digs it, that's cool too. I don't give a rat's tail if he can hear the quality difference or if it's partly aesthetics or maybe he's just keeping up with the Joneses. The choice may be purely psychological. Imagine choosing a sex partner by blind testing; It's a rather risque example, but I think you get my point. Maybe that isn't the way most people would prefer to choose their mate.

As for reviewers and "golden ears," I can't be sure about their tastes or their motives, so that's a different story. We talked about that in the thread called "Reviewers - Is it possible for them to be unbiased?."

But as for the simple question of whether blind tests are useful, I'd have to say they obviously are, because they're a way of introducing a degree of objectivity. It's additional information, that's all.

Re: ABX [message #54274 is a reply to message #54273] Tue, 10 May 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I see now. The ABX argument for me is not about whether performing those tests can provide a reasonable approximation of an absolute truth; which is what they are designed to do;no?
I am more concerned about relying on them to prove a point; which is pointless.
The concept that since a difference is not quantified by an ABX test it cannot possibly exist is the shibboleth I am after.

I don't see it as a competition and there I think is the issue. I see it as a design tool; and that is why it needs to be addressed.
Processing sensory input to the CC is so little understood and lacking in a firm basis for making predictions that I am sure in the future the whole concept of ABX testing will be revamped. The best at this research cannot even agree on threshold limits. These tests are rudimentary at best and those who accuse skeptics of the methodology of being reactionists are themselves reactionists.
The sad part is depending on this type of testing to make design descisions will once again; like perfect sound forever set us back on the road to great and natural music reproduction.

Here's a thought [message #54276 is a reply to message #54270] Tue, 10 May 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI John,
Here is a thought that may be helpful:
Measurement tools are far more sensitive at detecting differencees between components than the human ear. Acoustic signal fidelity is not terribly complicated, and can be characterized by a small number of metrics.
So, components that measure the same along these metrics will sound the same.

Now, they will be other factors such as how it looks, the manufacturer's name, what your friends like, etc. that can change how something sounds to you. MEasurement tools can't capture those. thsoe would be the psychological factors. AS Wayne said, it really doesnlt matter why yu like something. Just have fun with it.
thanks
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Britain Piano Man
Next Topic: Now Even SBC Is Doing It!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:10:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers