Home » Audio » General » Watch out! It's a bomb scare! or... is that a capacitor? :P
Watch out! It's a bomb scare! or... is that a capacitor? :P [message #532] Sat, 12 June 2004 02:26 Go to next message
Adrian Mack is currently offline  Adrian Mack
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Check this out, enlarge pic to read text :P

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bigdaddyrox4574/detail?.dir=/b5a2&.dnm=b626.jpg

Re: Watch out! It's a bomb scare! or... is that a capacitor? :P [message #533 is a reply to message #532] Sat, 12 June 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Funny thing is that if you hook that capacitor up backwards -

- it is a bomb.

good ol Hollywood!! [message #534 is a reply to message #532] Sat, 12 June 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Polarity sensitive wayne? DC cap ...1 F :-D

thats so funny,,but i can see why ppl thoht it was a bomb!

hahaha

Re: Watch out! It's a bomb scare! or... is that a capacitor? :P [message #541 is a reply to message #532] Mon, 14 June 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've found through experience that airport security is not keen on passengers bringing on-board DIY projects. I use to travel with my M.Choy DIY pocket headphone amp. Cool little unit that I built into an Altoid mint case. Security didn't think it was so cool though.

Re: Watch out! It's a bomb scare! or... is that a capacitor? :P [message #546 is a reply to message #541] Mon, 14 June 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I can't help but laugh at the mental picture of you bringing a contraption in a little metal candy box through network security. That's a funny thought, thanks for the visual.

But then again, it's a sad state of affairs too. I mean, "America the Free" is not the place where I would have expected a shake-down of a kid carrying a crystal radio or of you with your headphone amp. I wouldn't have expected people to be arrested for smoking a cigarette in an outdoor area either, but it happens.

[Insert political statement here]

I sure hope we can put our things in order. Wasn't it an American that said "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death"? I wonder what 'ol Patrick Henry would say now.

OK. Enough of that from me. I'm just a guy that draws up speaker boxes every now and then, not a political commentator. That ain't my bag, man.

Re: Watch out! It's a bomb scare! or... is that a capacitor? :P [message #552 is a reply to message #532] Mon, 14 June 2004 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
You don't know what a pain in the ass this is.

CES '03 Peter Qvortrup wanted to bring samples of AN's new copper jacketed caps. He couldn't get them through security at Heathrow, and they spent the show in a locker in the airport.

This year, he had packed a very high zoot stepup transformer in his luggage. The security boys pried the case open, broke open the solder seal on one of the transformers and mashed it all back together, leaving a note, "your baggage has been opened by US Customs." No sh*t, sherlock!

Re: Watch out! It's a bomb scare! or... is that a capacitor? :P [message #553 is a reply to message #552] Mon, 14 June 2004 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Haha, man sometimes you just gotta wonder what these security guys are trained to 'look for' in peoples luggage. You'd think that they would be smart enough to distinguish a bomb from a cap!

Re: Watch out! It's a bomb scare! or... is that a capacitor? :P [message #554 is a reply to message #541] Mon, 14 June 2004 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I wonder if there is a real list of stuff security wont let ya bring through the airport, or if security is just a bunch of guys seizing anything they see with maybe an LED and a few wires and buttons hanging off it. Guess if they dont stop enough people be it for genuine or non-genuine reasons, their boss wont be able to boast about how many 'dangerious items' their 'highly-trained security team' stopped from making it onto US airlines :P Gotta make the big man look big!

Re: Watch out! It's a bomb scare! or... is that a capacitor? :P [message #557 is a reply to message #552] Mon, 14 June 2004 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oh, man, that's really a drag!

Certainly there must be some way to present items like that to security in advance for a more non-invasive inpection. I mean, this is not an isolated case nor is it a rare occurance. There must be many, many legitimate equipment prototypes that cross the airways and while laymen can't tell what they are, more technical people easily can. So it seems to me there should be away to address this problem.

That was a good (bad) story, David. Thanks for sharing it. Words to the wise, as they say.

Re: Watch out! It's a bomb scare! or... is that a capacitor? :P [message #563 is a reply to message #557] Tue, 15 June 2004 04:14 Go to previous message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
You'd think so, wouldn't you?

In the former case, the caps were hand carried, were explained face-to-face, and the security people were not impressed. Of course, these things were the size of small beer cans, gleaming copper and look like they mean business of some sort. Still . . .

In the latter case, the offending item was packed in checked luggage. That was a mistake. Hand carry it, offer to explain it up front. Have literature showing it and explaining what the heck it does. Be proactive; there's nothing but fear, suspicion and a lack of specific knowledge driving the folks in security. Don't leave it to them to sort things out on their own. I'm not picking on the security folks; I'm saying help them in order to help yourself and protect your gear.

I hand carried a wicked looking tone arm and mc cartridge in their own separate box in their own separate bag on the way back from CES, and sure enough, they wanted to see what this vaguely ray gun shaped thingie was about. I held my breath praying they wouldn't tug on the .3mm silver tonearm leads, and hoping there would be a glimmer of recognition when I said "it's a tone arm. for playing vinyl records." Everything survived just fine, but I was really glad to get it onto the plane.

Previous Topic: Another new forum
Next Topic: Where's Sinatra on the Lawn?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 23:49:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio