Home » xyzzy » Tower » subject: Audiophiles
subject: Audiophiles [message #53980] Tue, 25 May 2004 08:44 Go to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Ok! I thought i better post here.
Anyone remember lemmings? thats appropriate here.They go down the gurgler if you dont prevent them. Alot like whats happening in audio,some ppl are being lost with the faith rather than the reality.

!Audiophiles!.
I see 2 types of forums/sites/audio-people.

1- Enthusiasts(just a arbitrary name in this case)

2- Audiophiles

they tend to have the following qualities

1- Enthusiasts
Objective
Thrifty
"my speakers(usualy HE horns) measure +-3db from 30hz to 17khz ,and

Re: subject: Audiophiles [message #53983 is a reply to message #53980] Tue, 25 May 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I can relate to you, for sure. One of my pet peeves from school days was guys bragging about their cars in clearly unrealistic ways. It still happens today, but I've aged and am not around that kind of thing as much. I remember the movie "The Fast and the Furious" where they talked about ten second cars and showed a blown charger doing an (obviously fake) wheelie. Total balony and it ruined the movie for me. Sound systems are the same way. People talk about audio gear in unrealistic ways too. It's like the same personality types in this hobby.

What I've had to learn to do - and sometimes been able to do it better than the others - is learn to accept people for who they are. I know better, I know to do that. But sometimes I completely forget. So when I don't accept people talking about 10 second cars that really couldn't do 17 second quarter miles, it's me that gets the frustration, not them. I know that, so I'm a lot happier when I apply it. Silly me when I don't.

What is even funnier is when I'm in a place that I've become frustrated by the BS and stop listening to anyone, sometimes even lashing out. It's funny 'cause that's when fate or karma or providence or God or whatever you want to call it always brings a blown sleeper into my life that actually does 10 second quarter miles. The guy is quiet and doesn't brag. Sometimes I notice him, but if I'm already too upset with all the BS, sometimes I don't. The quiet, calm, confident composure is the first clue.

Re: subject: Audiophiles [message #53984 is a reply to message #53983] Wed, 26 May 2004 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
the boss of this forum certainly doesnt like me,and is waitn for a chance to kick me off :p

I enjoy talking with audiophiles(for a short time) to see exactly what their up to.But some of them just get plain nasty!

They have their beleifs,and i have mine.One of mine being beleif in the auditory perception issues,and the fact that we dont know everything about the brain :P

Also being a christian,i enjoy keeping the faith to the spiritual side,not the Physical world where science belongs. Without science were lost.

Cheers

Re: subject: Audiophiles [message #53985 is a reply to message #53984] Wed, 26 May 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The AudioEnz forum moderator wants to kick you off? Maybe you can make use of this.

Re: subject: Audiophiles [message #53986 is a reply to message #53985] Wed, 26 May 2004 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Lol

i wont miss that place if i am :-)

I love you, Mike [message #53987 is a reply to message #53980] Thu, 27 May 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
You're my kinda guy.

I just hope that you don't go deaf listening to those car systems of your mates...

I wish I could be more like Wayne and shrug all the BS off, but it just gets under my skin.

BTW, when I was about twenty years younger, I had a mc that would do 10 second quarters. I loved to blow off those stupid Harley riders who thought they were so damn tough. Most of them had their brains shaken to putty. OOPS! should have moved this BS to the Dungeon. ;)

Re: subject: Audiophiles [message #53988 is a reply to message #53983] Thu, 27 May 2004 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You know between what people say and what they are lies the shadow. I find my problem to be the opposite of what you state, I always assume people are full of shit until they prove otherwise. I have begun to realise that that is not a positive outlook; so I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. But it's not easy. I guess thats why there are saints and there are sinners. I just don't find myself able to accept that someone would be content with postulating something obviously wrong or twisted; so I think I understand that feeling of frustration of which you speak. People will create an alternate reality that is so transparent you feel like grabbing their collar and shaking them awake, with personal agendas and hidden motives, and for what? My wife says" Why do you care?" Good question. I just find it hard to be a bobblehead doll, with my head going up and down, and just accept whatever someone is trying to BS me with. Thank you doctor, time to get off the couch. I'm sure my problem could be solved by any competent psychoanalyst at 150$ per session in about ten or twenty years.

Re: I love you, Mike [message #53989 is a reply to message #53987] Thu, 27 May 2004 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oh, some of the garbage gets under my skin too, believe me.

Re: subject: Audiophiles [message #53990 is a reply to message #53988] Thu, 27 May 2004 18:17 Go to previous message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
My wife used to be a high school teacher. She speaks of how she would tell Johnny to "stop talking," and Johnny would snidely reply, "I wasn't talking." Me, I would say, "LIKE, HEY, I JUST SAW YOUR DAMN MOUTH MOVING, YOU LYING BASTARD!!" and my blood pressure would rise and I would go choke the life out of the little prick. That's why I never taught high school, and I am out a free man today instead of in jail for justifiable homicide.

It is sort of an insult to not only your intelligence and character but also common decency to state an obvious lie to your face.

Previous Topic: what will the future bring
Next Topic: thanks to snoop dog and the wonders of technology---
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 04:08:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout