Home » xyzzy » Tower » The Concordes last flight
The Concordes last flight [message #53945] Sat, 01 May 2004 08:53 Go to next message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

A few pics of the last flight made by Concorde

Re: The Concordes last flight [message #53947 is a reply to message #53945] Sun, 02 May 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oh, damn. Another last. I knew that the sonic boom was a problem for flight paths over populated areas. I knew the Concorde was relegated to charter service and that it was alway in danger of becoming extinct. But I guess I hadn't kept up because I didn't realize it was already a goner.

Honestly, I just don't understand why it wasn't setup to fly between coastal cities so that it's path was always above water. Seems a simple solution to me. I've flown the jet stream several times and ten hours in the air is a long time. It would be great to have the standard international routes being supersonic.

Re: The Concorde's last flight [message #53952 is a reply to message #53947] Tue, 04 May 2004 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
I think that it was just too expensive to operate. I, too, hate long overseas flights, but the Concorde ticket was like first class. Thousands of dollars.

Re: The Concorde's last flight [message #53954 is a reply to message #53952] Wed, 05 May 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yeah, the ticket was about $10K. But I think that was mostly because it was treated like a charter flight. I can't help but think if it had been used more, it would have been able to take advantage of an economy of scale. It may have burned more fuel per minute, but was in the air 25% the time of the subsonics. So I expect it had the potential of being more fuel efficient. And I don't know what maintenance issues there were, but I would think it would also take advantage of economy of scale if it were used enough. Oh well.

Youd think so. [message #53958 is a reply to message #53954] Tue, 11 May 2004 05:24 Go to previous message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Im not sure why its gone too.

Youd think that faster flights,even if just as much fuel is burnt, for 100passengers instead of 400, that the maintenance costs would be similar.. and that the ticket price could be 4x the normal amount due to less passengers / flight..

Perhaps the mere fact that there was only ~7 or so of them, and theres thousands of normal 737s,airbuses etc,causes the per unit price to be high..so hard to recover R & D costs? hence super expensive tickets always..I guess the gov really has to invest into it to cause it to succeed.

There are other supersonic ideas around,and ramjets etc..
:o)

Previous Topic: TV Shows
Next Topic: A Good Word for AudioXPress
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 18:39:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers