Home » xyzzy » Tower » Some Good Books . . .
Some Good Books . . . [message #53931] Tue, 20 April 2004 16:56 Go to next message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
but gut-wrenching, so beware. I've been on an African kick this winter:

Philip Gourevich, We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families -- A powerful account of the genocide in Rwanda, in which 800,000 Tutsis and "moderate" Hutus were hacked to death in 100 days, the reaction of (read: abandonment by) the international community, the heroic efforts of local UN commander Romeo Dallaire and those few of his troops who were not withdrawn after the violence started, and the ambivalent role after the slaughter ended of aid organizations, which were basically shielding and supplying the murderers, allowing them to pose a threat to Tutsis in eastern Congo/Zaire (abutting western Rwanda) and to the new Rwandan government.

Samantha Power, A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide -- One of the finest books I have ever read, and a book that should be read by every American who has ever given more than two seconds thought to the circumstances in which America should intervene in foreign mass murders. We say "Never Again", but genocide has occurred repeatedly this century -- Armenia, Cambodia, Iraq, Bosnia, Rwanda, Kosovo. The author documents how, over and over again, bureaucrats and politicians of both parties have, at best, done nothing (with few exceptions) to prevent ethnic slaughter. Whether you ultimately agree with her thesis or not, she makes a powerful argument that the US should do more, up to and including the use of military force, if necessary. This book has me doubting many -- most? -- all? -- of my foreign policy preconceptions. You won't be able to sleep at night, but it has to be read.

Paul Theroux, Dark Star Safari: Overland from Cairo to Cape Town -- I am not a big Theroux fan, but this is a sad and funny description of his overland journey down the eastern coast of Africa. Having (one learns in the book) tought many years earlier in Malawi, Theroux finds both joy in meeting interesting and friendly people but ultimately more sorrow in the corruption and lawlessness, and resulting decay, he repeatedly encounters. Contemplating these developments, he develops a hypothesis that international aid is doing more harm than good. Not as good a book as the other two, but well-written and on the other hand it's a somewhat lighter read.

Re: Some Good Books . . . [message #53933 is a reply to message #53931] Wed, 21 April 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Interesting. Lots of unrest there, has been for decades. Centuries even, yes? It's hard for me to understand. But I guess once blood has been spilled, resentments spread and grow like a virus.

Re: Some Good Books . . . [message #53961 is a reply to message #53931] Mon, 17 May 2004 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Just finished the theroux book. Seems he has a real beef with the international aid community. It is big business and self-promoting philanthropists abound everywhere in the third world. The bigger the budget the less they accomplish. Bottom line, during colonial times there were roads and basic infrastructure, schools and hospitals. The indigenous peoples think differently and have a different agenda that will not adapt, the only hope is assimilation, lets get real. The resources are there. Tribal feuds extend deep into time, look at Bosnia. We invade only when the prospect of financial gain excists, look at Iraq.

Re: Some Good Books . . . [message #53964 is a reply to message #53961] Wed, 19 May 2004 05:13 Go to previous message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master
What was interesting to me was that the NGOs (Non-Governmental Organizations) came off poorly in all three of the books. Theroux, as you say, both detests them personally, portraying them as jerks, and makes a convincing argument that international aid simply fosters corruption and discourages Africans from helping themselves.

Philip Gourevich clearly suggests that the NGOs abetted the Hutu interahamwe after the RPF took Kigale by funneling aid to camps controlled by Hutu Power and then refusing to recognize or deal with the consequences -- that Hutu Power was using that aid to continue to massacre Tutsis in eastern Congo and northwest Rwanda and threaten the new Rwandan government.

NGOs figure less prominently in Samantha Power's book, but she does suggest that the NGOs' suspicion of the US was so great that they would rather permit genocide to continue to occur than to recommend or urge the use of military force to stop it. Only after Srebenica did they hold their noses and do so.

Previous Topic: A Good Word for AudioXPress
Next Topic: The Fisherman
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 03:41:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout