Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Pictures at an Exhibition
Pictures at an Exhibition [message #5353] Tue, 31 August 2004 01:01 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've heard it said that the first watt is the most important. Orchestral music like Pictures at an Exhibit makes me realize that while that is generally true, the first watt is still just a beginning. That all-important first watt needs several more on tap right behind it, even when using the most efficient loudspeakers.

This composition is one of those works that really moves you. So much so that you can play several versions one after the other and get goosebumps with each new listen. From Horowitz's piano version to Emerson, Lake and Palmer's guitar and synthesizer version to Toscanini's orchestral version - they all enchant me. I love hearing it performed solely on the piano, but then when I hear a full orchestra play it, I am mesmerized all over again.

Pictures at an Exhibition - Moussorgsky-Ravel - Conducted by Arturo Toscanini and performed by the NBC Symphony

Ravel's orchestration of Moussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition is inspired. Ravel's style and Moussorgsky's substance combine to apocalyptic effect. It begs for volume, and is why I say the first watt is just the beginning. If you have 110dB/W/M speakers and are listening in a small room, I'd say two or three watts would be plenty. Or 100dB/W/M speakers with 20 or 30 watts. But even in the best conditions, one watt is just not enough. It leaves you wanting more.

Putting all that aside, whatever it takes to fill the room will leave you breathless. If your system can provide 110dB peaks at the listening position and can reproduce the full range without strain, you're in for a real treat.

One thing about the Toscanini recording is that it was done a long time ago and quality is not as good as some others. It's a shame, because it is a classic piece done by a classic composer. But another that I think is better, is the version done by the Chicago Symphony, conducted by Seiji Ozawa.

Pictures at an Exhibition - Moussorgsky-Ravel - Conducted by Seiji Ozawa and performed by the Chicago Symphony

Personally, I prefer Ozawa's version, both because the recording/pressing quality is better and also because I just like Ozawa's style. He starts off Promenade slower and seemingly more majestically. It gives more of the feel of wonderment and anticipation as the person experiencing it passes through the "exhibition." It just feels more emotional to me.

The CD versions may be remastered and quality may be different, but I am fairly confident that the same master was used. I have both on vinyl and the records are in very good shape, well preserved and great sounding. The Ozawa record is an RCA "Dynagroove" from 1968 and the Toscanini is also an RCA (this one, "Dynaflex") dated 1972. But it must have been pressed from an earlier recording because Arturo Toscanini died in 1954.

Re: Pictures at an Exhibition [message #5356 is a reply to message #5353] Tue, 31 August 2004 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
I have Sir Georg Solti with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. That one is also Ravel's transscription from piano to orchestra, but others have done so as well. I heard a transscription by a Finnish guy once on the radio - very good, too. I have heard this live a couple of times also. I heard the piano version in one of our old castles some years ago, in the knights hall. Just when the final movement, "The Great Gates of Kiev" was played, a thunderstorm broke out - fitted the music beautifully! :-) Fine music, Wayne. The only version I don't have is the one for organ - gotta see if I can find that one somewhere (now I got a sub!).

Re: Pictures at an Exhibition [message #5359 is a reply to message #5356] Tue, 31 August 2004 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Check out this album cover of my copy of the Ozawa version. I think he was in his early thirties when this photo was taken, at the beginning of his career.

Re: Pictures at an Exhibition [message #5362 is a reply to message #5359] Wed, 01 September 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AHENDLER is currently offline  AHENDLER
Esquire
Give a listen to Richter's 1950's recording in Sofia, Bulgaria. This is considered one of the all time greatest piano recordings ever. It is from a live performance with a coughing noisy audience and only fair sound but it is absolutely riviting.

Re: Pictures at an Exhibition, performed by Richter [message #5363 is a reply to message #5362] Wed, 01 September 2004 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I see that Amazon has the Richter version available, so I'll order it right away. Thanks for the tip.

Re: Pictures at an Exhibition, performed by Richter [message #5364 is a reply to message #5363] Wed, 01 September 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne,
The sophia version is a Phillips CD #420774 This is the one to get.
Alan

Re: Pictures at an Exhibition, performed by Richter - Sophia Recital, 1958 [message #5365 is a reply to message #5364] Wed, 01 September 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I found Sviatoslav Richter's 1958 Sophia Recital on the Phillips label. Is this the one you're talking about? It contains Pictures at an Exhibition so I think it must be.

Re: Pictures at an Exhibition, performed by Richter - Sophia Recital, 1958 [message #5366 is a reply to message #5365] Wed, 01 September 2004 10:59 Go to previous message
Esquire
That's the one. The other works from that recitel are also great listening. If you can't tell I consider Richter the greatest classical pianest of the 20th century.Good listening
Alan

Previous Topic: Berlioz - Fantastique
Next Topic: Mobile Fidelity
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:30:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers