Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What I've been doing between hospital visits
What I've been doing between hospital visits [message #53519] Tue, 12 May 2009 13:39 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Even tho' I have my own parking space at the clinic, I still have time to blow stuff up:

That's the Tubelab Simple SE that'll run EL-34 thru KT-88 single-ended. George sells you the board, cheap, and his website borders on OCD detail for the build. Anyone over the age of 6 can build this.

I traded some caps for a pair of Svetlana 6550s and they sound darn good putting out about 5 watts. One of them, or perhaps one half of the 12AT7 is a little weak so I'm having imaging problems but no big deal. The 4Pis really like this amp, it's punchy, dynamic and the highs are a litle less detailed/aggressive than the 45.

Feeling better lately for those who asked; it turns out I'm the drug side-effect poster boy and it's been really hard to find the right brew for my delicate condition.

I've prescribed one of these for my newly arrived second childhood and expect to get aboard sometime in July:

Cruising the Blue Ridge Parkway on my T-100, can't wait!

Re: What I've been doing between hospital visits [message #53520 is a reply to message #53519] Tue, 12 May 2009 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Glad to see you back Bill, We missed your input and pictures. Nice looking bike and amp, Seems like you should get more wattage out of a 6550. What kind of B+ voltage are they running on the plate ??? I'm using solidstate amps myself, but I believe there is something supernatural about tubes. Can't put my finger on it and they do sound warmer.

Re: What I've been doing between hospital visits [message #53524 is a reply to message #53520] Tue, 12 May 2009 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's awesome, Bill! Awesome on both counts, the amp and the bike.

I'm telling you, that's really livin'.

Re: What I've been doing between hospital visits [message #53526 is a reply to message #53519] Tue, 12 May 2009 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Hi Bill, sorry to hear you've been in and out of hospital and having the bad side effects. No good, but I hope it clears up soon and you get your health back. That bike should help out a lot! It looks like it's going 85 just siting there.... If you need a 12at7 let me know; got a NOS GE 6201's that's pretty decent if you want it.

Nice [message #53527 is a reply to message #53519] Tue, 12 May 2009 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sweet amp and sweet bike, Bill!! Nothing like going for a ride.

Have you tried any EL34's in the amp? I've been waffling about for over a year on getting some boards from George.

What did you end up using for iron?

Sweet Trumpy Bill! [message #53528 is a reply to message #53519] Tue, 12 May 2009 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RC Daniel is currently offline  RC Daniel
Chancellor
My Dad would be jealous; he used to ride 'em in his youth and still has a soft-spot for them.

I wish you all the best in your recovery.

Best wishes
Raymond

Re: Nice [message #53529 is a reply to message #53527] Wed, 13 May 2009 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Power tranny is the Allied, OPTs Trancendar and the choke, Triad 6H; all mentioned on the Tubelab pages. I used a mix of KOA Speers (kiwame look-a-likes) and the liddle red PRPs with copper Obbligato .22 couplers. Why .22? That's what I had!

The 4" tall Hammond (it was on sale at Allied) box conceals 3 of those 20uF Aerovox motor runs in parallel I scored last year. Total cost about $250.

Wayne-O, there's 421 vDC at the plate. George's tables show about 5 watts for 6L6 with that voltage and a 5000ohm load, the 6550 may do a little better, perhaps 8.

I have a few other 12AT7s just haven't had a chance to slip them in yet. If the 6550s are responsible for the weak output on one side another pair is just $60bucks from BOI.

Now I'm wondering how I never had a 6550 amp before...this is one ballsy toob...maybe I need to build one of those P-P circuits with 4 per side and heat the house this winter.

Had Barbers weirdo "Modern Cool" on tonite; she's very inventive if nothing else and the CD has fab sound. Hey, maybe that's the new amp shining thru....naah, couldn't be, too few hours and too much DCR!

Cathode bias? [message #53530 is a reply to message #53519] Wed, 13 May 2009 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill,

I'm curious what the bias method is in that amp. It seems similiar to the EL34 monoblocks that Steve built that I had.

Are you going to ride the Triumph up to Ohio for a visit???

Regards, Ron

Re: Yup! Cathode [message #53534 is a reply to message #53530] Wed, 13 May 2009 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hmmmmm.......I can't see jack at night, anymore and I have to stop to 'nate every hour, so....if I leave as soon as I take delivery, I can be there for Labor Day!

Re: Yup! Cathode [message #59560 is a reply to message #53534] Tue, 30 June 2009 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dB is currently offline  dB
Master
Hi Bill,
Don't get those stupid vaccines from those damn doctors (NPI)... stay away. Luv the pics.

Previous Topic: 2 Pi Tower Plans
Next Topic: 4Pi Speaker Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:11:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout