Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Eight-Pi woofer
Eight-Pi woofer [message #53472] Mon, 27 April 2009 14:11 Go to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Could you add the omega-15 to the eight-pi, section off the midhorn ,run the 5 mh. coil to the Omega -15 positive side ??? AND RETUNE THE PORTS to 38 hertz. Would this work ??? No two corners for cornerhorns ?
Thanks.

Re: Eight-Pi woofer [message #53473 is a reply to message #53472] Mon, 27 April 2009 15:42 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What you are describing is essentially a seven π speaker. If you don't make the bass bin into the traditional π cornerhorn shape, you could instead make it into a box a la four π or even into the shape of the eight π bass bin. Of course, if the bass bin isn't put into the corners, then the midbass and lower midrange radiate into halfspace or quarterspace instead of eighth space, and there are penalties, both in terms of directivity and boundary loading. But if you don't have the corners, then those options aren't available anyway.

Personally, I like my cornerhorns and my two-ways. Both sound great to me. The cornerhorn is definitely a better speaker but the two-way is 95% as good, so the midhorn and corner placement are Nth degree things. If I didn't have corners for six or seven π speakers, I'd probably go with the four π using the JBL 2226 and DE250. Either way, add subs for smoothest bass. You can do it a step at a time, making your mains first and then adding subs later as an upgrade path.

Previous Topic: Questions on the 12 and 3 pi subs
Next Topic: 2 Pi amp - Kramer 903?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 11:13:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout