Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Subwoofer placing behind the listening position?
Subwoofer placing behind the listening position? [message #53422] Wed, 15 April 2009 05:31 Go to next message
Champion is currently offline  Champion
Baron
Hi Wayne,

I have read a few of your posts on multi-sub and positioning. It sounds really interesting and I am tempted to try it in the near future (when I have some spare money!). Your posts mentioned a few ways to place the subs (e.g. in 4 corners, one in a corner, other in mid-way of the wall etc). My question is, if my main speakers are placed at the two front corners alreay, can a sub (or two subs) be placed behind the listening position at the corners with low low-pass frequency? It sounds very different to what most 'audiophile' would do. I have a very narrow room so there is no space for subs close to the front wall.

I have always find that getting good bass is very difficult and 90% of the time my listening position is at an anti-node for some bass frequency. I have used some DIY bass trap which helps a bit but not enough, and they are huge and ugly. So I am really keen to try other solutions.

Re: Subwoofer placing behind the listening position? [message #53423 is a reply to message #53422] Wed, 15 April 2009 11:26 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sub placement(s) behind the listening position are often justified, in addition to closer flanking subs. Naturally, the amplitude and low-pass frequency of the more distant subs will need to be adjusted so they cannot be detected as separate sound sources.

I find that subs placed closer to the mains can be low-passed higher and can also have higher amplitude. Those are what I call flanking subs because of their position in relation to the mains. With higher low-pass, they tend to smooth the upper modal region.

The more distant subs are necessarily low-passed at a lower frequency. They tend to smooth the lower modal range.

Previous Topic: Pi plans
Next Topic: Pi-3 tweeter horn level ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 03:30:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout