Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Cabinets for Four Pi speakers
Cabinets for Four Pi speakers [message #53408] Fri, 10 April 2009 18:19 Go to next message
tubino is currently offline  tubino
Chancellor
I want to make a pair of Four Pi speakers, using what I have:
* Pair JBL 2226J
* Pair B&C DE250
* Pair H290 horns
* Will build Four Pi crossovers, adjusting for 16 ohm 2226

I want to recycle a pair of stout 3/4" plywood cabinets that measure roughly 29"h x 18"w x 14"d. I plan to make a new baffle board by gluing 3/4" plywood to 3/4" MDF, then using a plunge router and circle jig. I calculate the internal volume at ~2.9 cu ft minus some bracing, so about 2.7 cu ft. I penciled a layout with the 15" up from the bottom 3", and the bottom of the horn flange less than 1" from woofer edge. This appears to leave plenty of room for a horiz. brace inside between drivers, and also leaves room for two 3" circular ports (one in each bottom corner).

Questions:

Any tips for gluing two pieces about 27 x 17"?

Is internal volume pretty close to the Four Pi?

Layout is different from Four Pi pictures, with horn smack over the woofer, and ports in bottom corners. Any issues there?

Thanks,
Rick aka tubino

Re: Cabinets for Four Pi speakers [message #53409 is a reply to message #53408] Fri, 10 April 2009 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What you propose is fine. Just make sure the Helmholtz frequency is 38Hz and put the tweeter horn immediately above the woofer.

As for the crossover, assuming you'll be using an 8Ω DE250, I suggest adding a little more attenuation to the tweeter circuit. Instead of using 25Ω and 16Ω for R1 and R2, use 30Ω and 14Ω, respectively. This will make up for the difference in voltage sensitivity. When using a 2226J instead of a 2226H, scale all values in the woofer circuit to match, doubling the inductance and resistance values and halving the capacitance values.

I also suggest that you don't skimp on the resistors. They don't cost all that much and even if you're using low-power tube amps, it never hurts to over-rate the parts and keep 'em cool. It also allows you to use your speakers with the full amount of power the drivers are designed for without risking damage to anything. There's a lot of dynamic range potential in a speaker like this, but only if all the parts can handle it.

Re: Cabinets for Four Pi speakers - now Crossovers [message #53413 is a reply to message #53409] Sat, 11 April 2009 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tubino is currently offline  tubino
Chancellor
Thanks, Wayne! The extra attenuation for the 8R DE250 sounds smart. I wouldn't be averse to using a 100w L-pad for some flexibility...

My tendency would be to use lower wattage on the resistors since my "big" amps (SE 845) are nowhere near 100w, but I think I'll follow your advice. I may be loaning these to a friend who thinks he needs to spend a lot to get good speakers (Stereophile reader!). Knowing they could handle even a big SS amp would provide peace of mind.

Is your crossover board useable with the large inductor values needed for the 16R woofer? To make matters worse, I like the Erse inductors for these large mH values. The Erse are nice for mounting to a free-form board, but maybe not to your PCB...

Re: Cabinets for Four Pi speakers - now Crossovers [message #53414 is a reply to message #53413] Sun, 12 April 2009 00:30 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I use air core coils where possible to prevent saturation, but usually use laminated cores for coils larger than 3mH. An air core coil with enough meat to keep DC resistance down is just too large for the higher inductance values. If you look through the crossovers shown in the shopping cart, you'll notice that we put Erse Super-Q coils on some of them.

About resistors, I use a 100 watt part for the Zobel but 10 or 12 watt parts for the other locations. The R1/R2 values are made with a series/parallel network of four resistors to increase thermal limits.

The post below has links about various topics related to some of the things you've brought up such as L-Pads, choice of crossover components, etc.
Previous Topic: prices up
Next Topic: Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:08:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout