Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » cardboard port for 4Pi?
cardboard port for 4Pi? [message #53316] Thu, 19 March 2009 12:00 Go to next message
reguax is currently offline  reguax
Chancellor
Hi everyone

I've seen a lot of posts about using cardboard for 2pi's port, but nobody mentions using cardboard for 4pi's port.

May I use it?

Thanks!

Re: cardboard port for 4Pi? [message #53318 is a reply to message #53316] Thu, 19 March 2009 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could use a round cardboard port in a four π loudspeaker if you could get it to fit. But the front baffle has no room for it. The port as designed fits nicely on the baffle by using a rectangular shape. It looks nice and is easy to make too.

Re: cardboard port for 4Pi? [message #53319 is a reply to message #53318] Thu, 19 March 2009 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
But I could make a rectangle by carefully bending a single piece or cardboard... If I'm able to get it right, it should work, right?
I mean, the only problem in using cardboard is the shape of the port? There are no other issues, right?

Thanks

Re: cardboard port for 4Pi? [message #53320 is a reply to message #53319] Thu, 19 March 2009 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wouldn't do that unless the cardboard was very strong. The round cardboard ducts I use in some speakers are strong enough you could just about use them for a baseball bat. Partly this is because they are thick but it is also because they are round. That shape provides some strength. Flat sheets will be much less rigid, and easier to vibrate.

It is real easy to cut a few pieces of scrap wood to form your duct. I guess I'm just not understanding why you would want to use cardboard instead.

Re: cardboard port for 4Pi? [message #53321 is a reply to message #53320] Thu, 19 March 2009 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
You are right Wayne, cutting the wood pieces for the duct should be easy...

But I'm not only making my first speaker, I'm also walking my first steps in wood working. Making the duct has not been an easy task... they are coming anything but a perfect rectangle

Re: cardboard port for 4Pi? [message #53322 is a reply to message #53321] Thu, 19 March 2009 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I definitely understand. I can work a table saw and do some simple stuff but I usually leave it to the pros. To tell the truth, the part I'm most impressed with is the finish work. Choosing veneers, applying them and especially putting on a finish coat - those are things that make the difference between a good cabinet and a great one.

One thing I might suggest: You don't need the vent parts to be cut perfectly accurately. It's always good to make the cuts as accurate as possible, certainly, but in this case nothing shows but the inside. So the important cuts are the ones that set the height, width and depth of the inside of the duct. Pay attention to those. But otherwise, one part can overhang the other inside the cabinet just a little bit. No one would ever know.

Use butt joints so perfect alignment doesn't matter. Pick one dimension to make perfect (height or width) and measure and cut it carefully. If you miss, do it again until you have an exact fit on those. Then cut the others close, but don't worry about it if you're a smidge off. They may overhang 1/16th inch or maybe that much too small. Just line them up on the baffle, apply a line of glue and clamp them in place. When you're done, you'll have a perfectly flush fit on the inside edges that show, maybe on the outside too but if not, no big deal.

Re: cardboard port for 4Pi? [message #53323 is a reply to message #53322] Thu, 19 March 2009 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Good advice, I will try that way

Thanks Wayne!

Re: cardboard port for 4Pi? [message #53324 is a reply to message #53323] Thu, 19 March 2009 21:40 Go to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
when I made mine I got some lighter baltic birch plywood made for models at Michael's, I guess about 1/4" or maybe 3/8" and used that for the port. It was real easy to work with and I used masking tape to hold it together while the glue dried. Just butt joints, as Wayne said. I spray painted the inside of it flat black before gluing it on the back of the baffle, also gave the cutout on the baffle a touch of flat black on the inside edge.

Previous Topic: Waveguides verses Horns
Next Topic: 2" compression drivers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 20:40:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout