Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi4 with AE TD15M instead of JBL for midbass, would it work?
Pi4 with AE TD15M instead of JBL for midbass, would it work? [message #53276] Sun, 01 March 2009 23:03 Go to next message
Scott is currently offline  Scott
Chancellor

Hi Wayne. I've been looking into upgrading my front three mains for my theater and have been looking into the Pi4 for some time now. I was wondering though if instead of the JBL midbass I could use an alternative. I have lots of interest in the TD15M from Acoustic Elengance. Seems to me that it could have superior performance to the JBL and is priced around the same.

Here's the T/S for the AE TD15M:

Fs: 34.7Hz
Qms: 5.09
Vas: 312L
Cms: .3mm/N
Mms: 70g
Rms: 3kg/s
Xmax: 6mm
Sd: 855
Qes: .35
Re: 6.6
Le: .2mH
Z: 8ohm
Bl: 17Tm
Pe: 500W
Qts: .33
1W SPL: 97.8dB

Do you know if these would work with your Pi4 crossover?

The Re is a little different so that might skew it the most. The Xmax, Fs, power handling, sensitivity are all very close. The inductance is much, much lower on this AE driver though. I provided a link to the rest of the TD series T/S specs and a picture of the frequency response of the TD15M. It is said to be very usable off axis to 2khz and on axis to 4khz.

Thank you.

It would definitely be worth a try [message #53277 is a reply to message #53276] Mon, 02 March 2009 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I expect it would work well and sound very nice. Might be a drop-in replacement, or it may be that some minor crossover changes are necessary. The only way to know for sure is to measure it and see.

Re: It would definitely be worth a try [message #53279 is a reply to message #53277] Mon, 02 March 2009 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott is currently offline  Scott
Chancellor

Hello Wayne! Thanks for replying so fast.

I wasn't sure or not if you would tell if it would work with your crossover for the Pi4. I don't know anything about designing crossovers but I do know how they work.

Here's the measured impedance if that helps at all...

Thanks again Wayne for the reply. One way or another, I hope to be a Pi4 owner soon.

Re: It would definitely be worth a try [message #53280 is a reply to message #53279] Mon, 02 March 2009 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The impedance curve looks good, with very little impedance rise at higher frequencies. That's something Nick has focused on, in addition to other features in the core to reduce flux modulation and thermal runaway. The crossover will work fine with that load electrically, but the thing one would want to watch is the acoustical interaction between woofer and tweeter in the crossover region. It may be that the existing components are exactly the values you would want, or it may be that some small adjustments are needed.

Re: It would definitely be worth a try [message #53307 is a reply to message #53280] Tue, 10 March 2009 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilk is currently offline  Bill Wassilk
Chancellor
Hey Wayne, have you ever tried modeling the Eminence Kappa Lite 3015LF's in a Pi4? Since I upgraded those Tuba 36's of mine from the EV's those cabinets slam pretty hard now. Even though I don't have any measurements, there was quite a noticable difference in the sound, even though the specs were close to the EV's.
Bill

Re: It would definitely be worth a try [message #53308 is a reply to message #53307] Tue, 10 March 2009 23:21 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A few people used the Kappa 15 several years back as a low-cost substitute for the Omega 15 in four π and seven π speakers. Seems like the Kappa 15 modeled pretty good in those cabinets, as I recall, and the users reported good things from those combinations. I don't know how similar the Kappa Lite 3015LF is though.

Previous Topic: Baffel on 2-pi tower ???
Next Topic: For Sale System One Loudspeakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 03:10:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout