Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 395 horn ???
395 horn ??? [message #53293] Fri, 06 March 2009 21:31 Go to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Will this work in place of the 290 horn without any major differences ?
Thanks.

Re: 395 horn ??? [message #53294 is a reply to message #53293] Fri, 06 March 2009 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, the H395 is not a suitable substitute for the H290. To be honest, I never cared much for that horn. The sharp edges within the flare cause discontinuities that make internal reflections, ultimately creating spikes in impedance and response. The H395 horn sounds harsh and spitty to me, as do all horns like that.

Re: 395 horn ??? [message #53295 is a reply to message #53294] Fri, 06 March 2009 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Is there any others you would recommend ???

Suitable tweeter horns [message #53296 is a reply to message #53295] Fri, 06 March 2009 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are plenty of good horns out there, some that I would consider to be compatible, at least conceptually. The difficulty is knowing how they'll act in terms of summing, both on-axis and off-axis. Not only does response matter but also directivity and physical position, because each plays its part in setting the acoustic position and radiation pattern of the sound source. This makes it harder to know whether a horn will work as a drop-in replacement, or if crossover changes will be needed.

Without doing some fairly extensive tests and measurements, I'd stick with the H290 or the π wood horn.

Re: Suitable tweeter horns [message #53297 is a reply to message #53296] Sat, 07 March 2009 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tmavr is currently offline  tmavr
Esquire
This is my first post so Thanks for making this forum so informative

I was thinking of modifying a pi 3,
The main idea is to use a tractrix horn to load the B&C DE250 . The horns mounted on top of the pi 3 main cabinets.
Has anyone attempted something like that before (with pi 3 or pi 4)? Any thoughts?
I am prepared to do measurements and modifications to the xover.

Re: Suitable tweeter horns [message #53298 is a reply to message #53297] Sat, 07 March 2009 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There have been several people that have done that over the years. Of course, this changes the polar response of the speakers. One of my main focuses has been uniform directivity, so this isn't something I recommend. But you can certainly mount a salad bowl type horn on top and optimize the speaker for on-axis response. Off-axis response isn't as good, but there are lots of people that really like this kind of setup.

Re: Suitable tweeter horns [message #53299 is a reply to message #53298] Sat, 07 March 2009 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
You are right about the directivity of the tractrix. Nice to know that other people have tried it. Thank you for your rapid response.

Re: Suitable tweeter horns [message #53300 is a reply to message #53299] Sat, 07 March 2009 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

One thing I think I'd still do it to match the horizontal directivity at crossover. That way, directivity collapses over the entire audio band. I would prefer constant directivity, but I think uniformly collapsing directivity is the next best thing. At least then the power response can be uniformly falling too. Keep the woofer and tweeter as close as possible to make the vertical nulls spaced as widely apart as they can be above and below the forward axis.

Re: Suitable tweeter horns [message #53301 is a reply to message #53300] Sun, 08 March 2009 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
That is going to be a difficult task. I am prepared to do measurements and fine tuning. One thing is for sure, it is going to take me at least a couple of months. Thank you for your early educated feedback.

Re: why "I like Wayne!" [message #53302 is a reply to message #53301] Sun, 08 March 2009 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
I'd rather not spend couple months doing all that!! and I know that Wayne has done a thorough and sound job in all his calculations and tests, so I'm comfortable relying on them. People like Wayne and Paul Joppa at Bottlehead help keep a hobby a hobby for a lot us by doing the math and doing it right (unlike many in this business). thanks guys.

Previous Topic: plans for Pi 4
Next Topic: Baffel on 2-pi tower ???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 03:23:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout