Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Three or Two Tower - suggestions Wayne please?
Pi Three or Two Tower - suggestions Wayne please? [message #53170] Mon, 02 February 2009 13:06 Go to next message
Derro is currently offline  Derro
Chancellor
Hello Wayne,

I am undecided which I should go for - the Pi Two Towers or the Pi Three.

I was going to go with the Two Towers, but I now realise that the product lineup has changed and the Three Thermionic and Theatre are no longer and there there is just the one version of the Three and that it is now a smaller size than what it was in the past. This has now made me think that the Three would now be a better choice. I also would really like to try horn loaded speakers, so I am attracted to the Three

The Two Towers are 4.2 cuft and the Three are 3.8cuft .... BUT .... which would be better to use with a no feedback, single ended 300B, in a smallish room ( 12x10, listening distance 6-8ft) ?

Which has the smoother impedance load? Can they both be used right up again the wall? Can the port on the Twos be put on the front or perhaps the side if used up against the wall? I assume that the Three will go lower in frequency?

Could I please have a copy of the Three plans?

Finally are the dimensions external on your plans?

Thanks in advance and best regards

J.D.

Re: Pi Three or Two Tower - suggestions Wayne please? [message #53171 is a reply to message #53170] Mon, 02 February 2009 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Both are great speakers, and both work very nicely on tube amps. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

The two π tower has a small footprint, low cost and deep extended bass. It is a smooth sounding speaker that is popular with just about everyone. It really has no downside and doesn't cost much. It is extremely tube friendly too. This speaker probably offers the most bang for the buck in the line, mostly because it costs so little and just sounds really good.

The three π speaker is the entry level uniform directivity model. It offers better room coverage and better dynamic range than the one π or two π models can. It really is in an entirely different league, putting you closer to a "price no object" class of sound system. You can build a pair of three π loudspeakers today and be quite happy, then a few months down the road build a couple of subs to go with them. This is the kind of sound system that is hard to beat, providing powerful smooth bass and uniform coverage throughout the room.

In the room you're talking about, I'd probably go for the two π towers. That's mostly because the footprint is important in a room this size. It would be great to get some larger speakers in there and also some subs, but you just don't have the room. Then again, you don't need a real wide sweet spot either, so the two π towers work nicely.

If you want speakers for a larger living room or home theater, that's when you want to check out three π speakers and multi-subs. You could also go with four π or cornerhorns, if your room will work with them. These offer constant directivity, and that, combined with multi-subs, provide a uniform reverberent field and a very large sweet spot.

Thanks Wayne, - can I have plans? [message #53172 is a reply to message #53171] Mon, 02 February 2009 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Derro is currently offline  Derro
Chancellor
Excellent, precise and concise answer Wayne. You summed it all up perfectly for me.

Overall then, the Pi Three is a much more sophisticated speaker - correct? And as such would be the better choice, despite it having a bigger footprint - I can live with that.

Wayne, could I have the plans for the Three Pi? ( derro@mac.com)

Many thanks for your help,

J.D.

You've got mail! [message #53173 is a reply to message #53172] Mon, 02 February 2009 18:48 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Previous Topic: What's your favorite horn and crossover for the DE250?
Next Topic: Is there such a thing as a 4 pi with a 18" woofer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:35:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout