Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Four Pi and BSC
Four Pi and BSC [message #53162] Sun, 01 February 2009 05:14 Go to next message
Anthony Dockrill is currently offline  Anthony Dockrill
Esquire
Hi,

I was wondering if the Four Pi has been designed to take into account baffle step Correction? If not does a crossover design exist that has say 3-4db of BSC?

I prefer not to put speakers against the wall to get the correct tonally balance.

Cheers,

Anthony

Re: Four Pi and BSC [message #53164 is a reply to message #53162] Sun, 01 February 2009 11:16 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Baffle step correction isn't wanted or needed for these speakers. They're designed for uniform power response over a wide area, and baffle step is really specific to on-axis response. Even if considering just the forward axis, speakers with baffles smaller than about 18" might benefit from BSC, but I think larger speakers make it inappropriate. Any baffle step would be near the room's Schroeder frequency, so baffle step has little meaning. Sound progagation is transitioning from modal to reverberent in this range and the relatively small EQ provided by a BSC circuit would be overwhelmed by room influence.

What I would suggest is setting up the speakers as shown in the links below. If you add subwoofers, you'll not only increase bass extension but also smooth room modes. That's the best way to provide smooth balanced response in the modal region.

Previous Topic: Seating
Next Topic: Three Pi Towers ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 18:36:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout