Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 PI Towers Do Not Like Rock 'n Roll
2 PI Towers Do Not Like Rock 'n Roll [message #53137] Mon, 26 January 2009 20:31 Go to next message
breakfastchef is currently offline  breakfastchef
Chancellor
I am loving my 2 Pi Towers with my Bottlehead system running a pair of 300B monoblocks at about 8 wpc. Classical and Jazz sound fantastic. There is great separatation between instruments and vocals, the soundstage really is 3D and the trail-off of things like a triangle or cymbal strike are very enjoyable. BUT, rock 'n roll does not always sound so good on these speakers. I cannot explain why other than that everything sounds very congested, like a traffic jam. All the qualities I hear and enjoy with Jazz and Classical seem to be missing with the rock genre. Any comments or suggestions?

Re: 2 PI Towers Do Not Like Rock 'n Roll [message #53139 is a reply to message #53137] Mon, 26 January 2009 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I run mine with my SS amp and have no problem with most rock at all. Now, to get a nice jazz and classical sound, I have to go to my tube amps. It just doesn't sound quite right with the SS. One thing I've found with rock, especially CD's, is that most are recorded like junk..compressed to within an inch of it's life and made to sound best in a vehicle or something other than a home rig. Those that are recorded poorly really sound bad through the Pi Towers. Those that are recorded well sound very, very good IMO. YMMV.

Re: 2 PI Towers Do Not Like Rock 'n Roll [message #53140 is a reply to message #53139] Tue, 27 January 2009 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Shane's got a point. I find it really amazing how bad most rock is recorded. most of it has few low frequencies (below 100hz), the separation is incredibly artificial, the frequency range is limited, and it's compressed to boot. You can also hear a lot of punching in and patches on a good system.

Re: 2 PI Towers Do Not Like Rock 'n Roll [message #53142 is a reply to message #53140] Tue, 27 January 2009 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
Yes good speakers bring out the good and bad. With my old name brand speakers you could not tell much difference between a good or bad recording.

Good audio systems do not like Rock 'n Roll! [message #53143 is a reply to message #53142] Tue, 27 January 2009 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The better my audio systems have evolved, the smaller my CD collection became!

I like SET tube amps and wooden horns which are very high efficiency and also magnify every error in your system, and with the source material playing on it!

So I would rather have a second system for Rock and Roll which does not show off the flaws and keep the best audio recordings for my best audio system!

Regards, Ron

Re: Good audio systems do not like Rock 'n Roll! [message #53199 is a reply to message #53143] Sun, 08 February 2009 23:23 Go to previous message
Wayne-o is currently offline  Wayne-o
Master
I have some 2-pi s in a 3.8 cu. ft.cab . and they sounds great on all types of music. I am using a sansui 8000 or a marantz 2385 . They have cleaner midrange and play louder than my other JOES 701 speakers. I still love my JOES though.

Previous Topic: Covers for drivers
Next Topic: 4 Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 09:32:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout