Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » How Do I Connect Speaker Wire To These Spades?
How Do I Connect Speaker Wire To These Spades? [message #53063] Fri, 09 January 2009 21:17 Go to next message
breakfastchef is currently offline  breakfastchef
Chancellor

I must be crazy, but I cannot figure out how to connect speaker wire to these spades I just received in the mail. There is nothing to crimp and solder. The bottom part of the barrel unscrews (for whatever reason) and the inside of the spade is just a hollow. Is it just a matter of simple pooling some solder at the bottom of the hole, re-heating and inserting my wires?

Re: How Do I Connect Speaker Wire To These Spades? [message #53065 is a reply to message #53063] Sat, 10 January 2009 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Solder 'em. Heat the connector enough that solder melts when it touches and flow some in. I like to apply heat right where the wire goes in and heat the wire and connector at the same time. The wire will wick the solder as you spool it in.

Re: How Do I Connect Speaker Wire To These Spades? [message #53067 is a reply to message #53065] Sat, 10 January 2009 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
breakfastchef is currently offline  breakfastchef
Chancellor
I posted this same question on another DIY forum and I was told they are compression spades. Apparently you thread the wire through the removable section of the barrel and fold back the ends of the wires. Then screw the removable section into the spade for a tight compression fit.

Though, using solder, I can be assured the wires are making good contact.

Re: How Do I Connect Speaker Wire To These Spades? [message #53068 is a reply to message #53067] Sat, 10 January 2009 15:10 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I use bananna plugs like this and I prefer adding solder. Mechanical connections are fine, but solder prevents them from coming loose.

Previous Topic: Enclosure volume.
Next Topic: Three pi subs 92 db ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 03:08:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout